From Addis Ababa to Boston

Friday, April 11, 2008

Mulatu Astatke's mesmerizing soundtrack for the film "Broken Flowers" brought him a new generation of fans. But the Ethiopian musical icon has spent the last 50 years bridging western jazz with Ethiopia's indigenous sounds. Gideon D’Arcangelo first met up with him in Addis Ababa.

1. Yekermo Sew (A Man of Experience)
    Artist: Mulatu Astatke
    Artist: Mulatu Astatke
    Album: Ethiopiques Vol. 4
    Label: Buda Musique

Gideon D'Arcangelo

mark

Outstanding Jazz!

I look forward to see him performing on stage.

Aug. 04 2008 10:24 AM
ermias from us

thanks.

Jul. 05 2008 01:55 AM
ermias from us

while I was in ethiopia I taught he is popular only in there but now , I am proud of him..

May. 09 2008 02:03 PM
Frank Drew from Virginia

Thanks, everyone.

Apr. 14 2008 11:52 AM
Miriam from NYC

i caught the last few minutes of the show and as soon as the last piece began my heart just stopped. I knew it was a famous Ethiopian piece. Although I am an Ethi, I do not know the music of my people all too well, i know little by listening to what the folks played or at celebrations, etc. It isn't music from my generation but that is how powerful some pieces are, no matter what age you are it just moves you, i think 360 listeners understand what i am trying to say. Thank you so much npr & 360, thank you, i just wish he would come to NYC soon!!!!!

Apr. 14 2008 10:57 AM
Jenny Lawton from Studio 360

Hi Frank and m -- you're right, it's "Tezeta (Nostalgia)" from Mulatu Astatke's album "Ethiopiques Vol. 4" (Buda Musique).

Apr. 14 2008 10:40 AM
m

I believe that is called "Tezeta" - great song - I was wondering the exact same thing

Apr. 13 2008 03:20 PM
Frank Drew from Virginia

Very interesting interview with Mulatu Astatke. What was that dreamy piece playing at the end of the broadcast, with the saxaphone(s)? Was it something he did with the Either?Orchestra?

Apr. 12 2008 04:00 PM