Smell You Later

Interview

Friday, May 09, 2008

Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez are not your average fragrance writers; in Perfumes: The Guide, they called Paris Hilton’s scent "barfbag floral." Turin is a biophysicist; Sanchez is a perfume critic. Kurt brought them to a nearby drugstore to unlock the mysteries of body spray, handiwipes, and crayons.

• Bossa Vega
    Artist: Mike Figgis
    Album: Leaving Las Vegas soundtrack
    Label: Capitol

Tania Sanchez and Dr. Luca Turin

Baby perfume from http://www.minipompom.com/category.sc?categoryId=9

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this.. Loved it

Thanks,
Cygnus

Jul. 23 2010 05:24 AM
jenny from oklahoma city, ok

oh I forgot: almond extract and dryer sheets...need I say more?

Dec. 17 2008 01:41 PM
jenny from oklahoma city, ok

You have got me at the pre-thunderstorm/ during thunderstorm/post-thunderstorm smell (it's like a humid/dusty smell). That is probably one of the best. Someone else said lilacs, yes. Roses that actually smell, yes. Add to that peonies. I don't like geraniums, but I do like marigolds (mom, always had them) and cut grass.
As for man made, a bar of original Irish Spring/Zest and my body wash St. Ives Whipped Silk. And because my dad was a mechanic too, I like the smell of gear lube. Anyone remember VO5 henna shampoo, or really good leather?
The smell of my husband's skin though, takes the cake. Sometimes I could just lay on his pillow and inhale.

Dec. 17 2008 01:16 PM
Justen renyer

Play-Doh and the smell of old public schools in Queens.

Jul. 23 2008 12:44 PM
amanda from upstate ny

I love the burning smell of autumn - when it smells like something's on fire, but you can't see any smoke. And the smell of wind as it rushes by, pure and invigorating. And I must agree with storms and sunny cat fur too.

But I can't believe that there was no mention of the infamous smell of Play-Doh! Is it too obvious? I smell that and I'm instantly five years old again...

May. 19 2008 10:15 AM
Patricia from San Antonio, Texas

One of my favorite non-perfume smells is the back of a new born baby's neck and the top of the baby's head. I find it hard to describe but it is a clean and new smell.

I also enjoy new crayons, fresh cut Christmas trees, leather, and Old Spice cologne, smells that are familiar to me from childhood.

The smell of Youth Dew by Estee Lauder mingled with the scent of Dove soap instantly reminds me of my grandmother Jessie and my Aunt Martha. It is amazing how scent can evoke such strong memories!

May. 14 2008 10:20 PM
Twill from Mass

My favorite non-perfume scents are lilacs, salty sea air, and fresh mown grass.

May. 12 2008 02:33 PM
David Olson from North Daktota

Calm air soon after substantial rain (whether calm or not )

May. 11 2008 07:16 PM
Robin

Fountains, the slightly chlorinated water moving through the air just smells SO good to me. My kids think that is crazy, chlorine is poison, right? But it is almost like the anti-smell, like it just erases everything and is so clean. I sometimes smell the water running from the faucet in the breakroom at work :). As an actual smell (vs. the un-smell) I think my favorite may be bread baking, yum. Or peaches when they are ripe and you can smell them from a yard away at the store.

May. 11 2008 03:11 PM
Diana from San Francisco, CA

It's hard to boil non-perfume scents down to the one favorite - garlic sautéing in butter wins (when you just start cooking it). Runners-up are baking bread; cool grass; the air after it rains; axle grease (dad was a mechanic).

May. 11 2008 12:40 AM
Judith from NC

I love the smell of fresh ground coffee, newly mown grass, and plumeria flowers.

May. 10 2008 09:23 PM
David in Brooklyn

The smell of a cat that has groomed its fur and then lain in the sunshine.

May. 10 2008 07:28 PM
Marc from Silver Spring, MD

Lilacs, the 15 minutes after a good rain ends, and a dog's furry head on a cold night.

May. 10 2008 01:56 PM
beth from DALLAS

GRAIN DE SOLEIL BY FRAGONARD A FRENCH PERFUME MADE IN GRASSE,FRANCE.YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK TO WHAT YOU WERE PREVIOUSLY WEARING !

May. 10 2008 01:41 PM
lizamaeloubop from WNC Mountains

I love the smell of the woods. I loved the smell of my dog's head - it smelled like maple syrup. When I was little, in the winter I would open the medicine cabinet and sniff that pink bottle of Coppertone, and be at Myrtle Beach.

May. 10 2008 01:41 PM
Robert Neitzke from Clarksville, TN

Plum blossoms, they're delicate and enchanting. I think our favorite scent may be reflective of our personal baggage of positive experiences. Also many foods may momentarily encompass our favorite scent depending on what we are smelling at the particular moment when we are quite hungry. The aroma of bakery & desserts fresh from the oven can tip the scales against us to make us overwhelmingly crave that particular food in that moment.

May. 10 2008 11:19 AM
Mary from Connecticut

The grapey smell of hot asphalt in the summer...makes me feel like I'm five years old again.

May. 10 2008 11:16 AM
i smell better from manhattan

I love the smell of ionized air just before an electrical storm, and then the scent of the first raindrops hitting the hot pavement.

I'm sure this sounds horribly icky, but I grew up in an area where there were a lot of dairy farms and I've always been really fond of that barn/straw/manure smell.

On a more appetizing note, nothing beats garlic or shallots being sauteed in butter.

May. 10 2008 11:04 AM
Misa from nyc

White pepper, pea sprouts, and a mown lawn. Puppies, too! (But I don't think it'd be a great idea to bottle that...)

May. 10 2008 10:54 AM
Carol Davis from West Chester,PA

Perfumes are very personal---I love Pleasures and Jessica McClintock and the smell of roses

May. 10 2008 10:24 AM
fellow sniffer from texas

wet stones, pepper plant, humid air, and of course that wonderful smell of a puppy.

May. 09 2008 10:34 PM
LaDivina from Montana

Perfume lovers around the world know and adore Luca Turin! It's great to hear his voice. Shalimar and it's sister, Jicky, are two of the absolute greatest perfumes ever formulated, and after many, many years, they have never been out of style.

May. 09 2008 06:07 PM
Chris Constantine from Pine Barrens

My favorite non-perfume scent is clean saliva on clean skin. To avoid an x-rating I will just state that, given certain combinations of saliva and skins, this scent can be very arousing.

If it could be bottled it could be worth billions.

May. 09 2008 04:23 PM