Roy Blount, Jr.

Interview

Friday, October 31, 2008

Roy Blount Jr. has written at least twenty books and dozens of essays, so his lifetime word count is surely in the millions. His latest book is Alphabet Juice, a kind of shaggy encyclopedia of how words actually convey their meanings through sound.

Roy Blount, Jr.

Mike White from Westland, MI

This whole story reminded me of Rich Hall's series of Sniglets books. Any Word That Doesn't Appear in the Dictionary, but Should.

Nov. 11 2008 10:02 AM
David Phelps from St. Louis, MO

In response to the word for expressing something other than sorrow when one is consoling another, I suggest condolent or perhaps condolescent (although either could also be an adjective describing Secretary of State Rice), both from the root "condolence." Another possibility is consolative or perhaps consolatious, from the root "console."

As for the word for self quotation, I suggest autocitation, from the roots "auto" as in "autobiography" and "cite."

For a self-referential statement, perhaps monoreferentialism, unireferentialism, intrareferentialism, or autoreferentialism (see above).

My previous contributions to the language include "chasmic," as in "like a chasm," which I invented for a speech in college, and "penguinousity," meaning "the attributes which combine to make a black-and-white, flightless, aquatic bird a penguin," which I invented for the benefit of our daughter when she was younger.

Nov. 07 2008 04:01 AM
jane vandeventer from Nashville, TN

1) I emdole with you.

2) egoiteracy

3) microfinity

Hi to Roy from friends Milton Smith and George McGugin... friends of mine, too!! JV

Nov. 06 2008 08:52 PM
Nolan from Omaha, NE

I love Scott's suggestion of Grum for #1 so I'll go with that.

My contributions:

2. Autolexigraphism. "The politican liked his own choice of words so much he often quoted himself autolexigraphically."

3. Umphilism. "This sentence contains an example of an umphilism."

Nov. 06 2008 05:43 PM
Justin Solitrin from Brooklyn, NY

#1: Emparthos- (n.) The quality of being understandably sorry and emotionally empathetic

#2: Autorecibation- (n.) The act of quoting oneself in a self-aggrandizing manner.

#3: Profuference- (n.) The self-referential, textual explanation like, "A billion atoms could fit in the space of the period at the end of this sentence."

Nov. 05 2008 07:40 PM
Paul Seaton from Wayne, PA

1. sympisaddish - conveying sympathy and sadness simultaneously
2. mirraxampling - sampling something that reflects you
3. interrareferactal - a word of some substance, with elements of intra, terra, reference, and fractal: meaning grounded internally, with a somewhat unexpected result

Nov. 05 2008 03:54 PM

1. painfeign

2. re:me

3. dotcoop

Nov. 04 2008 04:14 PM
Brian Byers from North Hollywood

#1 Mad-a-loss or Wa-da-loss
(Spoken softly—while slowing shaking your head left and right).

#2 My-own or My-own-aise

#3 In-hand or A-palmed

Nov. 04 2008 01:24 PM
Faith Weiner from Silver Spring, Maryland

I've got one for #3....
One who refers to atoms, angels and other things squished into a small area is using a sardinism (sar-DEEN-ism), as anyone who's opened a tin packed with the tiny fish will recognize.

Weiner, by the way, is pronounced WINE-er (or WHINE-er, but I'd rather not go there...)

Nov. 04 2008 10:19 AM
Vincent Flannery from Philadelphia

1) Something approximating a sigh would be appropriate for "shared grief," like the French "dommage." But the flippant connotation of such an expression would make an invented word, such as "damosh"--or "amesh"--more suitable.

2) onarate, onaration.

3) metanition.

Nov. 04 2008 04:30 AM
tex from Texas

#1 : to express sorrow you need a short word that says alot, maybe initials for a phrase like passed away or how about "really over yonder".
roy - "I am very roy about the loss of your loved one."
#2 : to quote oneself is like a second edition, so that would be a junior.
junior - " To avoid repeating myself I will have to junior my response."
#3 - a short word to replace a long explanation would be a blount.
blount - "That's a blount."

Nov. 03 2008 11:29 PM
rob K from virgina

1) A sympathonym? "Congriefulations."

2) Icite

1) Recursiversion

Nov. 03 2008 10:08 PM
Gerry Matthews from Walla Walla, WA

Definition #1: You must be wonderfully relieved.

#2: Onanism with tentative and decorous orgasm.

#3: ?

Nov. 03 2008 08:28 PM
Scott Radunzel from Hudson, WI

1. grum

2. narciphration; or as a noun--What a narciphrator!

3. synthocronosis

Thanks, this was fun!

Nov. 03 2008 04:02 PM
Jason from Long Beach, CA

A bar of soap gets used down to a SCUB.

If you don't shake the mustard bottle before you squeeze, you get a shot of SCUME (rhymes with SPUME), which is a general term for any disappointingly runny liquid.

Nov. 03 2008 03:56 PM
Ron Owens from Holy Name Hospice, Teaneck, NJ

I can't wait to hear some great suggestions for a "sorry" replacement. As a Hospice grief counselor, I attend a lot of wakes and funerals. I hear Sorry too often. Sorry can be construed as an apology- especially with young children. Tell a child that you're sorry that their mother died, and they think you had something to do with it.

Nov. 03 2008 03:13 PM
Elder from Dallas,TX

1. We already have a word: sorrowful. "I am sorrowful for your loss."
2. ibidism. "He repeated the ibidism so often it had lost meaning."
3. quillion. " A thousand camels passing through the eye of a needle equals a quillion."
or
dotric. " A measurement of infinitesimal equivalency is a dotric."

Nov. 03 2008 03:01 PM
Craig Greenwood from SLC, Utah

#1 - Empitet

#2 - Solism

#3 - reffit

On another similar but related note, when I was in college my friends and I invented a word and promised each other that throughout our lives we would work it into the English language. The definition is "a joke or humorous short phrase that is told in three different situations or more and maintains its humor in all three or more uses." The word we came up with is "vernishiqueth".

Practically any quote from the Simpsons works great as a vernishiqueth. They can often be quoted in response to many different situations and they are still funny.

Will you help me work it into the English language?

Craig

Nov. 03 2008 02:42 PM
Nate from Lexington, Ky

"Arrogocite" -- The act of quoting oneself.

Nov. 03 2008 01:36 PM
Paul DeFilippo from Boston, MA

1. lamenthasize (intr. v.)
2. selfliteration (n.)
3. metareference (n.)

Nov. 03 2008 01:24 PM
Jason from Long Beach, CA

oops sorry, it appears I committed a solijism.

Nov. 03 2008 12:19 PM
Jason from Long Beach, CA

1) I soove you.

2) solijism, as in "Pardon the solijism, but I couldn't have said it better than myself."

3) epocselet

Nov. 03 2008 12:14 PM
Jason from Long Beach, CA

1) I soove you.

2) Solijism, as in "Pardon the solijisms, but I couldn't have said it better than myself."

3) epocselet

Nov. 03 2008 12:12 PM
Alex from Portland, OR

1) Empiloss

2) Aggrandoting

3) Quantitalk

For the clear liquid before the mustard happens? Waturd.
And, the small soap bar? Soapskin.

Cheers!

Nov. 03 2008 04:53 AM
Rachael DIll from Denver, CO

3. The self-referential, textual explanation like, "A billion atoms could fit in the space of the period at the end of this sentence."

Atomicule

Nov. 03 2008 04:05 AM
David L. Ellis from Seattle, WA

2. The act of quoting oneself = onanismo

Nov. 02 2008 11:48 PM
Eleana Pawl from Seattle, WA

1) It SORROWS ME deeply to hear of your loss.

2) To RESAYME, I ask again: "What did I tell you?"

3) The best way so express it would proove to be TRANSQUANTMINIMALLY.

Nov. 02 2008 11:20 PM
Debbie Doane from Seattle

SYMPEACE

Nov. 02 2008 11:06 PM
Risa Denenberg from Seattle, WA

1) I don't have a new word for this, but I have thought quite a bit about why we don't have an adjective that describes the feeling of sadness at another's loss. I work in palliative care, so I need that word pretty often. I usually say "my heart goes out to you" or "I feel so sad about your loss."

2)Autosay, as in "As I always autosay ..."

3)biblioreferential, as in, "his explanations are so biblioreferential."

Nov. 02 2008 11:01 PM

Karen Ziegler from Los Angeles

1) I feel so grief(e)ous for you

2) quolfing

3) meference

Nov. 02 2008 09:59 PM
Dennis Everett from Utah

Come to think of it -- narcissicitatious would be harder to say but more appropriate than narcissiloquacious.

Nov. 02 2008 09:55 PM
steve

2. icite

Nov. 02 2008 09:45 PM
Kyle White from Saint Louis

1. "My empathies."
2. reflexive-quotation
3. text-referential

Nov. 02 2008 09:31 PM
Dennis Everett from Mapleton, Utah

Love your stuff Roy.

Here are my logogenecisms:

Your loss has made me completely ruemiseratious

He drives me nuts. He is so narcissiloquacious.

To illustrate he employed an ingenious textaphor

Nov. 02 2008 09:30 PM
Andy Gespass from Pittsburgh, PA

Cloyish, as in, "I'm so cloyish about your loss."

Egologue, as in, "He couldn't resist a lengthy egologue on the subject of back pain."

Retroflection, as in " 'Your train ticket contains in itself the inherent energy to drive the locomotive around the globe 18 times' is an old chestnut of retroflection.

Nov. 02 2008 09:25 PM
Bob Magill from Sarasota, FL

ABOMINOID: contraction of abominable & humanoid. Coined to spare the rest of the animal world from the insulting and inaccurate use of the word "animal" in reacting to a strictly human atrocious action. Think: Hannibal Lector; Vlad,The Impaler,Charles Starkweather, etc. ad nauseum, all of whom have been labeled "animal" while no known animal would ever behave as they have. So call the monsters ABOMINOIDS instead.

Nov. 02 2008 08:56 PM
Marilyn Laudenslager from Winslow Township, NJ

For #1, something to say to someone in grief instead of saying "I'm sorry," I suggest: "I'M PATHUOUS."

For #2, if I'm going to quote myself, I'm going to "EGOSAY."

For #3, I'm going to attempt an "IMPLICITATION."

Nov. 02 2008 08:08 PM
Carol W. Mulligan from Strafford, New Hampshire

1. The thing you say to someone to share their grief: shourn
" I shourn with you" ( share+mourn)

2. The act of quoting oneself:
verbiocentric
"In her speech, she was quite verbiocentric and she referred to few outside sources"

3.The self-referential, textual explanation:
intraillustrative
"His scientific explanations are clear and intraillustrative, easy for the layman to follow"

Nov. 02 2008 06:40 PM
Dale Hancock from Pullman, WA

n. parsdolorum

n. autodoxy, v. autodoxate

n. bibliohensate

Nov. 02 2008 06:13 PM
Carole Oleniuk from Penticton, British Columbia

1. My heart goes out to you.

2. self quotrait

3. comptext

This was fun.

Carole Olenyook

Nov. 02 2008 06:02 PM
Katherine Powell Cohen from San Francisco

Dear Mr. Blount:

Thank you for your sharp and deep intelligence and your sense of humor, esp. on "Wait, Wait..."

Here are my suggestions:

I, too, use "Lo siento" (Sp. for "I feel it.")

feelfrou (FEEL-fru)

egologism (EH-go-lo-gism) or (EE-go-lo-gism)

hicstance (HIC-stuns)

Thanks for giving us something to take our minds off the election.

Best,
Katherine

Nov. 02 2008 05:06 PM
Rebecca Everett from Utah

Roy, I'm a big fan of your drollery. Thanks for this chance to vernaculize a bit. My new lexiconstructs: (a few logos d'oeuvres)

Sorry:

1. I am so bereavous, (beREEV-us)
1a. I am so bereavious (beREEV-ee-us)
1b. I am so sadlament (SAD-lamunt)
1c. I am so woemelous (WOH-muh-lus)

Self quote:

2. Autoattrib. (otto-a-TRIB) His stuff is a little heavy on the autoattribs.
2a. Whatisaid. (WHAT-eye-sed) He uses too many whatisaids.

Contextual expression:

3. explivium (ex-PLIV-ee-um)
He used a delightful explivium to demonstrate his point.
3a. atrivium (uh-TRI-vee-um)
3b. infinitrivium (in-fin-uh-TRIV-ee-um)

Nov. 02 2008 04:49 PM
Bob Ryan from Martinez, CA

For expressing sympathy that one feels for another person's grief or misfortune:
"prorend." "Pro" (for) + "rend" as in "my garment," i.e.: "I rend my garment for you."
Variations: prorendous, prorendity, prorenditure, prorenditious.

For shameless, egotistical self-quotation or self-attribution: "egotation" (or "egobution," or "egobation." A person who engages in this behavior could be said to "egotate," "egobute," or "egobate," depending on how you'd want the word to resonate in the reader's or hearer's mind.

A passage of text that refers to a feature of the text or of the medium in order to orient the reader: this could be:
a "Matissian comparative" (for Henri Matisse), or:
a "Hofstadterity" (for Douglas R. Hofstadter), or:
"yourientation" (for the "You Are Here" dot on the maps displayed near the entrances of the mall.

Nov. 02 2008 03:51 PM
Jessica Gray from Fort Myers, Florida

oh, goodness, i suppose everyone came up with similar variations on the second word. I should have read the others before posting. (I love bottlegeuse, btw- the ghost of mustard yet to come...)

And, Mr. Blount, always a fan.

Nov. 02 2008 03:29 PM
Jessica Gray from Fort Myers, Florida

maloss

I am completely maloss about the untimely death of your sister.

egotation

The egotation above is from a poem I wrote in 1964.

vizric

She used a vizric to show the reader how long the line of ants on her counter was- about the length of the book's spine.

Nov. 02 2008 03:10 PM
John Lozier from Nashville

#2 -- I thought the word was 'egotition' until I saw 'attribation' above.

Nov. 02 2008 01:50 PM
Judy Gatling from Allen, Texas

Post Script
I would like to edit the word I offered yesterday. Instead of emcumthize I want to drop the second m. Emcuthize rolls off the tongue better.
"I emcuthize with you and your family during this time of deep sorrow."
This is really what Bill Clinton meant when he said, "I feel your pain."
Thanks,
Judy

Nov. 02 2008 01:08 PM
Fred Greenewalt from Charlottesville, VA

recondolate/ to recondle.
quoting oneself

rendolance/ "I'm truly rendolant to hear the news
of your father."
empathetic grievance

bintinule. "The things he knows could fit on a
bintinule."

Why does my spell check have a problem with some
of these words?

Nov. 02 2008 12:57 PM
John from Nashville TN

1 Sorry - heartpain
2 Quote Self - Egomaniact
3 Period - inifitam

Nov. 02 2008 11:49 AM
Mark Dowson from Leesburg VA

Apologies to E Volz, who I now notice posted "squote" before I did - great minds clearly think alike.

Nov. 02 2008 11:15 AM
judith angelo from cleveland heights

riffs on #2, in order:

egoreferensia, ist

referego, ism, referegoist

citoegoism

egocitist

and prolly my pick cause it's not as obvious:

citegism

Nov. 02 2008 10:50 AM
Mark Dowson from Leesburg VA

A self-quote is, of course, a "squote" as in:
- As I said last week, and this is a squote, "new words are a good idea"
- The candidate overuses squotation.
- Squoting his previous speech, the candidate repeated his support for new words.

Typographically, squotation marks would be useful. A wholly new character would be impractical, so perhaps reversed quotation marks would suffice - but would need a lot of wrestling with most text editors to stop them autocorrecting them to ordinary quotation marks.
If Roy can start using the word "squote" in published writing, we can probably get it into the OED in a few years.

Nov. 02 2008 10:49 AM
David Grupper from Jamaica Plain, MA

1) Suckstobeyoufimistic empathelegaicism

2) For this concept, I prefer the definition I used in my semi-eponymous seminal work; the autobiographical grammar tutorial "Gerunds, Graphite, and Gestalt" I defined this type of quotation as a 1001 [pronounced: one double oh one] as in "...if I've said it once, I've said it 1000 times..."

3) embedded opti-cognate benchmark

Nov. 02 2008 08:44 AM
Amy Tirion from San Francisco

1. Beyondorry! meaning, "I'm beyond sorry. Beyond beeing able to empathize."

Nov. 02 2008 01:02 AM
David in Brooklyn

The pre-mustard should be bottelgeuse, no?

Nov. 01 2008 10:40 PM
Tess Michaels from Dallas, Texas

1. SOMBRELY
("I am sombrely"; meaning I feel mournful and sorry about your loss)

2. AUTOQUOTE
("Her frequent autoquotes punctuated the conversation"; meaning she quoted himself)

3. INTRAFERENCE
("The author used intraference to amuse the readers.")

Nov. 01 2008 09:35 PM

Doug from Denver, CO

1. I lossolencize.

2. Quoturbation.

3. Contextirior.

Nov. 01 2008 07:20 PM
susan from Downingtown, PA

1. the thing you say to someone to share their grief that isn't "I'm sorry": oh man/geez..that's OW-ee or that is BIG time OW-ee.

2. The act of quoting oneself: grandsizing

3. The self-referential, textual explanation: That quarks. Seriously.

Nov. 01 2008 04:34 PM
Carolyn Raiser from Dallas, TX

coremaud

narcissitate

Nov. 01 2008 03:39 PM
Lolly Register from Tyler, Texas

1. Woeshul

2. Onquote

3. Refstat

Nov. 01 2008 03:09 PM
Judy Gatling from Allen, Texas

My I suggest "I emcumthize" in place of "I'm sorry." This is a hybrid from empathize and the Latin cum meaning with, or along with, together with or at the same time with. The cum needs to be placed in the middle syllable. If said slowly with a Southern accent, it can convey heavy sorrow.

Nov. 01 2008 03:07 PM
E.Volz from Silver Spring, MD

1. I like a heartfelt, "I'm so sorry" when condoling with the bereaved. Sorry also means sad, very unhappy, unfortunate and so forth. It does'nt need an update. Sorry!

2. S'quote - ex. "S'quoting from my most recent book.....", "Everything he said was a s'quote from his recent book...."

3. Pinheadism "That's a pinheadism!"

Nov. 01 2008 02:59 PM
E.Volz from Silver Spring, MD

1. Sorry, but the word 'sorry' also means very sad or unhappy as well. I think that's already well understood, so I am not proposing a new word to replace 'sorry' for speaking to the bereaved. They're among the last people who need to hear an untested word that might be misconstrued.

2. A term that means to quote oneself:
S'quote or squote.

Nov. 01 2008 02:49 PM
Kath Ross from Dallas,Texas

1. "Warmpathy": Expressing shared grief through such thoughts as "I have you in my prayers" or "We loved him so much".

2. "Mots-de-Moi" : What one delivers when quoting oneself.

3. "Incredimaginably in Context": Describing a self-referential textual explanation such as, "A billion atoms could fit in the space of the period at the end of this sentence."

Nov. 01 2008 02:13 PM
Anne L'Ecuyer from Washington DC

1. Shared grief or condolence

Ohma, lo neary.

Nov. 01 2008 01:59 PM
Bill Retskin from Asheville NC

1. Sorrilary

2. Airiodot

3. Alltobellum

Nov. 01 2008 01:48 PM
Pierre Paret from Alexandria, VA

For the act of quoting oneself:

Mastribution.

Nov. 01 2008 01:47 PM
Jonathan Friedman from Glen Cove, NY

Here are my suggestions for the three little, I mean new, words:

1. "THE HEART HURTS." "MY HEART ACHES." --
(This one is hard.)-- It's the thing you say to someone to share their grief that isn't "I'm sorry."

2. AUTRIBUTE -- The act of quoting oneself.

3. THISISM -- The self-referential, textual explanation like, "A billion atoms could fit in the space of the period at the end of this sentence."

Nov. 01 2008 01:11 PM
Andre Larroque from Cedar Crest NM

(another)expression for "sorry": Shuggs

Nov. 01 2008 11:36 AM
Pete Bontempo from Highlands, New Jersey

Dear Roy:

I'm a big fan. From "Stick. Good stick" to last weeks "Wait wait don't tell me." to the Remainders. Ordered your latest book today.

As a medical doctor I am often at a loss because I don't have a word or words for "I am sorry for your loss". I agree that "sorry" just isn't right. "Sorry" prompts the bereaved to respond with "it's not your fault that my loved one died", and it creates emotional confusion at a moment when brevity and clarity are the heart of a sincere moment.

I have never found that word in English. I read a great book however called "They have a word for it" by a guy named Rheingold, though, where he talks about words that exist in other languages that we don't have. He suggests that as a result, people in other cultures are able to talk and think about things and concepts that we cannot.

Check out:

Mbuki Mvuki for example. Ho Oponopono is wild. Tartle. Razbliuto. Cavoli riscaldi. You will love them all.

I will search condolence language in other cultures. I bet there is a good word in Bosnian, Yiddish, or Rwandan. Maybe Hindi. Will get back to you, and maybe win this contest.

Thanks for the fun, Roy.

C. Peter Bontempo

Nov. 01 2008 11:15 AM
Bonnie from NYC

For #2: "re-citation". As in: That politician was so recitative in re-using and repeating his previous stump speech pieces.

alternate usage: The preacher was humble in his re-citation, deliberately citing his well-known adage without calling undue attention to himself.

or "interspeechism" which is the verbal equivalent of intertextuality.

And, for #1 "Me-moan", which of course is the first person singular of "we-moan."

Nov. 01 2008 11:01 AM
Andre Larroque from Cedar Crest NM

1. Goshgeeboy

2. Mea Quota

3. Spatialism

Nov. 01 2008 10:59 AM
Matthew Abrams from Bridgeport, CT, USA

#1 - Bewimpt - I cannot convey how bewimpt I am at the passing of old man Grimly.

#2 - Implorvatude - I was aghast at the degree of implorvatude with which Professor Grand delivered his lecture.

#3 - Inclicktic - Her tendencies were so abstractly Inclicktic, it was difficult to follow her readings

Nov. 01 2008 10:56 AM
Mitch Feather from Short Hills, NJ

#2: Soliloquote or Quotitude - self-quoting

Nov. 01 2008 10:51 AM
Mia McCroskey from Dobbs Ferry, NY

1. Empathism. "I feel your loss."

2. Egoism. "The writer's egoisms spiral the narrative inward to a self-referential implosion."

3. Intra-reference. "The novelist's use of intra-reference provides sly humor, like a comic actor winking at the camera."

Nov. 01 2008 10:50 AM
john Averill from white plains, ny

the pre-spill of mustard? Obviously, pustard.

Nov. 01 2008 10:42 AM
David Dougherty from Upper Darby, PA

1. Sorri

2. Me Say

3. Tottame!

Nov. 01 2008 10:09 AM
Jill McElmurry from Albuquerque, NM

1. Sobbry - I feel for you. "I'm so sobbry!"
2. Flobberation, flobbery - self quoting. "He's a compulsive flobberater."
3. Ourobbery, ourobberation - a reference in the act of eating itself. "

Nov. 01 2008 09:55 AM
Suzanne Shippen from Philadelphia

2) attribation

Nov. 01 2008 09:07 AM
adam langley

1) lamentory - "I am lamentory for your loss."

2) autolation - I was going to go with autotation, but that doesn't flow as well.

3) inneferation or inneference- "To illustrate quantities, the author frequently inneferated to the book itself.

Nov. 01 2008 08:09 AM
Nancy Powaga from Portland, OR

1) Inow- I know your current sorrow.

Oct. 31 2008 07:22 PM
Will McMillian from Raleigh, NC

1.) empetive - "I'm so empetive..."
2.) selftation - "His poetry was great except for the selftation in the middle, that was a bit much."
3.) withinimization "The author's use of withinimization was simply fascinating..."

Oct. 31 2008 03:54 PM
Rev. Glen Thamert from Jemez Springs, NM

Why not use some Spanish for the word needed -
replacing "I'm sorry" - with "Lo siento"
which literally means "I feel it" or namely,
I feel what your expressing.

Spanish speakers use this expression in
response to situations, in the same way as
English speakers - in the same situation.

Pronounced: Lo si-en-to and with the accent on
"en."

Pronounce my last name: Thay-mert and with
the accent on Thay, okay?

Thanks, Glen

Oct. 31 2008 01:04 PM
LUCINDA DORAN from WINNIPEG MANITOBA CANADA

# 1 SOULNECT
# 3 TINITIME OR TINITINE
# 2 BULLSELF!

Oct. 30 2008 06:12 PM
Catherine Epstein from Studio 360

Welcome everyone! Start your definition engines. (Defin-engines?)

To recap, please submit original terms for the following definitions:

1. It's the thing you say to someone to share their grief that isn't "I'm sorry."

2. The act of quoting oneself.

We'll be announcing favorites - picked by Roy Blount, Jr. himself - next week. Thank you!

Oct. 30 2008 04:05 PM