Attack of the Giant Chihuahuas

Friday, November 21, 2008

What if all the pop culture about radiation creating mutants – from Them! to Spider-Man – were true, and scientists wanted to unlock the secrets? In this satirical piece, Eric Molinsky imagines the scenario in a laboratory near you.

Eric Molinsky

Biswas from Dallas

I was cleaning house and had the radio tuned to NPR the day this segment aired on Studio 360. I caught snippets between vaccuuming about a man bitten by a radioactive spider who later developed spider characteristics. I went to class the following Monday and suggested, in front of several of my peers, that a classmate write an essay about this expiriment. When everyone laughed at me, I came home and spent an hour searching for the story so I could prove the story existed.

Is it wrong that I am more embarrassed for myself than relieved for humanity? Well, I don't care if it is. Thanks a lot, NPR.

Nov. 25 2008 04:23 PM
Dan Christian from Minneapolis, MN

It looks like I am not the first, second, or even the fifth person who actually believed that someone from the University of Minnesota was actually dosing a dog with radiation.
As a satirical piece - kudos.
But as an American - what does it say about us that we would believe that this?
I'm not talking about our gullibility (that's for another time / place) - I'm talking about how we actually do accept cruelty!
By believing that this dog was being dosed with radiation, albeit for "beneficial" "scientific purposes," and accepting that as a way of justification... wow.
I am, at this moment, way more disgusted with myself and our society than with this program.
Thought provoking.

Nov. 24 2008 12:17 AM
BCW from Seattle, WA

I said to my husband (who had been watching football and walked into the kitchen) "Did you ever hear about ants that were the size of cars? In New Mexico I think they said?" And he said, "In SciFi movies, maybe." When I listened to the very end, right to the photoshopped dogs, and realized I was SO gullible, I told my husband and he said, "Yes, I can show you killer tomatoes too!" I am laughing ruefully. Good job, Studio 360, there are (otherwise reasonably intelligent) suckers out here listening to your show every week!

Nov. 23 2008 11:13 PM
Andrew C from Austin, TX

I loved this segment! Very unexpected and well done. "He was bitten by a radiactive sloth. He was able to digest tree leaves, but wasn't able to move around very fast and was kind of a burden to his family." I LOL'd at that one!

Nov. 23 2008 08:28 PM
Jessica Bosari from Plymouth, MA

Driving home in the dark, I thought I had missed the sign post telling me I had entered the Twilight Zone. So glad to find this was a satire and the fabric of the universe had not split!

Nov. 23 2008 06:25 PM
Kyle from Newport, RI

Absolutely Hilarious! I thought that this satire piece was absolutely brilliant. I was totally duped for the first quarter. Great job.

Nov. 23 2008 01:54 PM
laura from Washington, D.C.

I turned this on during the chihuahua part and had no idea what was going on. It seemed like a normal newscast because you interviewed a woman and had the realistic sound effects and everything. You really had me on this one! But please, next time give me a warning so it doesn't turn out to be a War of the Worlds situation! I just didn't expect to hear satire on NPR.

Nov. 22 2008 02:37 PM
Susan from Riverdale

Giant ants? WHAT? How did I miss that one?

Very subtle folks - I didn't notice the "satirical" until I logged in to ask this question - up until that point I was duped. Good job tricking my overactive imagination.

Nov. 22 2008 01:20 PM