Take Me to Your Leader

Friday, December 12, 2008

Uninvited visitors arrive in a new world, seize the land, and take human lives. Native Americans know this scenario well. Studio 360’s Eric Molinsky looks into the alien invasion narrative and the historical and psychological baggage that comes with it.

Eric Molinsky

Matthew Simpson

I raised the question that this program asks when teaching a college lit class a few years ago, and now I find out that I'm not the only one who saw the connection! This would be an example of "the return of the repressed," right? Knowledge that we can't confront is pushed out of consciousness but then returns in the form of science fiction, dreams, fears. Great show.

Dec. 28 2008 02:21 PM
Eric Molinsky from Studio 360

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comment. Here are links to the people in the story.

Eric

LeAnne Howe:

Owl Goingback:

Despina Kakoudaki:

Dec. 16 2008 10:44 AM
Steve MacIntyre from Beaver Dam, AZ

Two Words: "Mars Attacks".

Dec. 14 2008 02:33 PM
jim tropp from Manhattan

New perspective appreciated.

Dec. 14 2008 04:35 AM
Paul Meyer from bethesda md

You should have notes section so we
can check names of people that you
profile and supply relevant links. Thanks.

Dec. 13 2008 01:35 PM
megan joiner from Union Theological Seminary, New York City

Thank you for this segment. I appreciate the views of the speakers very much. This is so important for our shared American history. Dr. Howe is right, we (white Americans) are deep in our cultural amnesia and now playing it out in alien movies. I hadn't made this connection yet, and I'm glad I'll be able to pass it along.

Dec. 13 2008 10:30 AM