Aha Moment: Earl "Fatha" Hines

Friday, May 15, 2009

Growing up, Studio 360 listener Seth Barkan got pressure from his dad to become a classical musician. Barkan dutifully studied classical piano for years, but it never quite suited him. Then he heard a recording of stride pianist Earl "Fatha" Hines and everything changed. Produced by Studio 360's Jenny Lawton.

Weigh in: How has a work of art changed your life?

1. Old Fashioned Love
    Artist: Earl "Fatha" Hines
    Album: Honor Thy Fatha
    Label: Drive Archive
  2. Ain't Misbehavin
    Artist: Seth Flynn Barkan
    Album: Unreleased studio recording
  3. Old Fashioned Love
    Artist: Seth Flynn Barkan
    Album: Unreleased studio recording

Jenny Lawton

Lalit Rao

Last year at 13th International Film Festival of Kerala, I saw a great film "Nazarin" directed by an equally great director Luis Bunuel.I was completely bowled out by this film. Whenever I think of great films,Nazarin comes to my mind.
Luis Bunuel was a genius and a film like Nazarin is a proof of the fact that old films always had something magical about them.Lalit Rao Editor [www.cinema-poet.com]

Dec. 01 2009 08:59 AM
Jillian from Cambridge, MA

This was a terrific piece! Loved it.

May. 26 2009 04:17 PM
azita houshiar from new york, new york

I hearted the whole show but this segment in particular knocked my socks off. So poignant. I'm rooting for Seth. Lovely story.

May. 23 2009 11:05 AM
Trey from Amsterdam, Netherlands

I love the concept and the stories of art changing peoples lives (it keeps me doing my photography). I really dug this story and immediately went to iTunes to buy Seth Barkan's music - but alas it's not there so I picked up Mr. Hines instead. Come on Seth, make it easier for us to drop tips in the jar!

May. 22 2009 12:29 PM
Scott Mumford from Nashville TN

Somewhere in the mid eighties I saw the film “Koyaanisqatsi”. It came recommended by my sister in law, a woman I found annoying, but who’s taste I respected. Music by minimalist Phillip Glass. Directed by Godfrey Reggio. Stunningly Photographed, by Ron Fricke. I was at the time a young motion picture technician, wanting to make the next move from gaffer, or chief lighting technician, to DP, or Director of Photography. This film knocked me out of my chair. An early example of (among other things) Timelapse Photography, at least at such length. Immediately, I saw that I could be creative and learn and due to the nature of timelapse photography, use less actual film and gain a cost advantage. This obsession has busied me for years. It created a photographic awareness beyond exposure times/frame rate. I came to instinctively know another aspect. Time compression/stretching. “Koyaanisqatsi” forever changed how I look at photography and Time!
I often incorporate Time Lapse Photography in my day job of Shooting and Directing TV Commercials!

May. 18 2009 09:44 PM
Rebecca Ory Hernandez from Ogden, UT

I was just touched so much by this segment. Seth has a beautiful touch on the piano, and his story resonated with me, especially the part about "as an artist you live in service to your masters." What an apt quote, and as someone who has had a rough couple of years with a premature baby, it inspired me to share his music with my son.
It also reminded me of my grandfather (I grew up in South Louisiana). If Seth isn't appreciated where he is, he really should move to New Orleans where the people would love and appreciate his music! I wonder if Harry Connick Jr. has heard him play? Get a gig at the next Jazz Fest, man!

May. 18 2009 12:36 AM
Maryna Ajaja from Seattle Washington

I became a student of Wim Winder's film PARIS TEXAS. I viewed it thirty times wanting to know what the desert meant, what the water meant, what being afraid to fly meant, about running away from language and how to face it again. The film was filled with angst and so was I. But from that film I understood that visual language was as powerful as the written word and just as able to get into your gut. Maryna Ajaja/Film Programmer Seattle International Film Festival

May. 17 2009 11:53 PM
MONICA from Brooklyn, NY

After my father died in 1995 I listened obsessively to REM's "Automatic for the People". The album is about death, dying, and mortality. I got such a sense of comfort and peace from that record. I was 19 years old, and felt that it wasn't fair that my dad died while I was still in college. I had always thought it would happen later. That record taught me that it was not up to me when the people I love are going to die. It taught me to accept nature, and to be in the present with the people who matter the most to me. Hearing Michael Stipe's beautiful, expressive voice, and amazing lyrics was a port in the storm. I am eternally grateful to REM for that amazing work of art.

May. 16 2009 11:37 AM