I've Seen This Movie Before...

Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:17 AM

Does the story of 'Avatar' seem eerily familiar to you?  For student Randy Szuch, the answer is a resounding yes.  In this genius mashup, Szuch matches the audio of 'Avatar' with scenes from a beloved Oscar-winning Disney film from 1995.

'Avatar' is up for nine Oscars on Sunday, including Best Picture.  James Cameron, the creative mind behind the record-breaking movie, recently talked with Kurt in Studio 360.

And speaking of animated films: for only the second time in the Academy Award's 82-year history, an animated film -- 'Up' -- got the nod for Best Picture.  (Watch the trailer below.)

- Jess Jiang

Tags:

More in:

silla

Haha Up seems fun! But I dont think i will ever watch Avatar!

Mar. 14 2010 01:26 PM
Rashmi

gud post

Mar. 08 2010 02:52 AM
jarred2000

this i think dubed?????????

Cus if is it makes lok beta

Mar. 07 2010 10:56 PM
Invisible Mikey

I guess that's Alesha's version of the theory of relativity (kidding).

Avatar's good-looking, not "good". No point in confusing the two. Bad dialogue, predictable plot and some of the worst over-acting this decade. BUT it sure do look fine.

It's ok to enjoy looking at a stripper too. It's just a bad idea to make her your girlfriend.

(I wrote several Avatar and 3D-related posts.)

Mar. 07 2010 08:38 PM
angirach

Brilliant editing, I definitely enjoyed the similarities. I can't say I'm shocked or disappointed to hear that a movie isn't an original concept; its 2010, what's original these days? The movies they can't remake, they re-design. The point of the movie is the message, if the movie has a message that is.

Mar. 07 2010 07:58 PM
mycorner

Yes life is an adventure .. agree with that! :D

Mar. 07 2010 07:17 PM
Alesha

Pocohontas was a great movie, as is Avatar and Up! I used to love fern gully too. Everything is relative!

Mar. 07 2010 04:43 PM
catherinepedersen

Thank you! And on a tiny note, Pocahontas was not meant for the general public like Avatar...

Mar. 07 2010 01:02 PM
Nate

I knew I'd seen Avatar somewhere

Mar. 07 2010 11:54 AM
ryanrocks527

I Havent Seen Avatar Yet But I'm Counting O It Being A good Movei Oh I'm New And I posted Something IMPARITIVE To The USA.

Mar. 07 2010 11:15 AM
Jill

Along the same lines, Up has many similarities to the 1982 movie Fitzcarraldo in which the main character attempts to physically drag a steamship over a mountain.

Mar. 07 2010 07:24 AM
Deasy

Avatar was a great film. Sure the storyline was similar to those of other movies, but so many other movies are similar to others also. How many movies are there about a young boy/girl who is a misfit only to discover that they're actually really special? Or about a boy/girl who is in love with someone out of their league only to find that the other person loves him/her too?

Avatar has a basic storyline and that's that. It was predictable, but the movie still made me have goosebumps during certain scenes.

Mar. 07 2010 07:08 AM
zegor

Nice video! :)

Avater 3D was pretty cool, though. Not a bad flick... but the 3D was definitely worth to see in cinemas.

Mar. 07 2010 02:51 AM
zaphodsdog

Cmrosko, There's a difference between taking inspiration from what has gone before and becoming DERIVATVE. Avatar, while visually stunning, was creatively stunted - and bit preachy (ie "once upon a forest"). I think the studio is banking on peer pressure to boost sales etc. Many people i know have actually said "if you don't like avatar you must be a republican". and i think the studio was BANKING on just that sentiment.

Mar. 06 2010 06:24 PM
mtbmarmar

Brilliant mashup. Have avoided seeing Avatar as my son gave it the " Pocohantas" label. Also striking similarities to "Ferngully".

Mar. 06 2010 06:14 PM
Missy

I haven't seen Avatar but as many have said and many of us know, most books/movies tell a similar story. What we enjoy are the twists and surprises along the way that make each one unique. What keeps us coming and what we grow attached to are the stories, each told in their own voice.

The amalgamation (the video) is very well done! I enjoyed it! And I love Pocahontas :)

Mar. 06 2010 04:29 PM
Lee Wesman

"Up" was the cutest movie ever and deserves an Oscar. :D I noticed the same thing about Avatar's storyline being a mix of multiple other movies.

Mar. 06 2010 04:26 PM
dorkarama

Avatar isn't Dancing With Wolves, it's Dances With Smurfs

Mar. 06 2010 04:05 PM
Liske van Lill

Too true! I recently had my Significant Other watch all of the classical Disney films, and watching POCAHONTAS reminded me of AVATAR and all these other films that just rehash old stories. I'm not saying AVATAR was/is bad, of course - I went to see it in 3D, and as far as that goes, it looks great. But other than that, it's true that it isn't that 'wow'

Mar. 06 2010 11:23 AM
plumbernator10

Avatar is put simply "Pocahontas on crack". As much as I thought the effects were mindblowing, I certainly don't think it deserves much by the way of reward this sunday.
I am just starting a blog about the media and intend to cover the Oscars and whom I would give each of the big awards to in my first post on Tuesday. Hope people will read and give their opinions :D

Mar. 06 2010 11:06 AM
Chris

Haha Avatar is a classic pocohontis remake, I knew id seen it before. Really, if they had wanted to make it a great, they could have come up with a more original storyline as it didnt quite live up to the visual efeects..

Mar. 06 2010 10:00 AM
cmrosko

I think Avatar was a very entertaining film. The story line had many moving and moral undercurrents. I highly recommend seeing it. Yes there are some similarities to Disney's Pocahontas but there are unique differences too. Nearly all art forms draw from previous works of other artists or cultures in one way or another. I think it's too bad that so many critics try to block or degrade the unique collection of vision, sound and meaning that Avatar has to show. Sometimes the brain can block the eyes from seeing.

Mar. 06 2010 12:33 AM
myserc20

AVATAR's story is much like DISTRICT 9's... they both a have a community of "aliens' that need to be destroyed by the normies.

Mar. 06 2010 12:12 AM
ashleythinks

YAY someone else who agrees Avatar (despite the great visual appeal) wasn't the greatest, new concept movie ever made.

Mar. 05 2010 11:32 PM
Lakia

Wow... this was shockingly similar!!! I loved the movie Avatar though. It was super long, but it seriously didn't feel that long in the theaters...

Mar. 05 2010 11:05 PM
Robbyn

That was a great post. As someone else mentioned, I thought it was a remake of Dances With Wolves too----are you sure there wasn't a "tatanka" shout-out in Avatar somewhere?

Mar. 05 2010 10:35 PM
gold forever

oh my god this mashup is glorious!!!

Mar. 05 2010 09:17 PM
vixstar1314

I loved UP very funny movie but at the same time touching.

And your so right, come to think about it, Avatar is very similar to pocahontas. either way they both are cool :D

Mar. 05 2010 09:04 PM
octopoe

For sure, Avatar was: Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, Aliens, and Pocahontas wrapped up into millions and millions of dollars of recycled movie. Should Cameron be honored for his work, it will show a further degradation of or culture.

Mar. 05 2010 08:17 PM
LuRain Penny

Avatar - Never seen 3D before - I was ducking bushes all through it. I cried alot - I cried at UP too. I am easily moved.
UP was the most entertaining - only Ed Asner I ever liked.
And the kid was adorable.

The technology to make those movies just dazzles me.
Got to give them credit for that.

Mar. 05 2010 08:04 PM
Lori Schmidt Lutze

I loved UP and blogged about it awhile ago...............

Mar. 05 2010 04:24 PM
The (Melody) Blog - Brett

My friends and I think Avatar is the best movie, but I didn't know it was that similar to this one. Nice post Studio 360. ;)

Mar. 05 2010 04:20 PM
artfeltwritings

I didn't like UP... it wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it was portrayed to be in the trailer.

Avatar may have a similar story line to Dances with Wolves, etc but I think it puts out a good message. I loved the movie, it was ground breaking in movie making technology and was very moving.

Mar. 05 2010 04:07 PM
yakuza

nice posting :)

Mar. 05 2010 04:07 PM
stacy

That seems about right. :0)

Mar. 05 2010 03:51 PM
Vera

I had seen Up before, Fern Gulley!

Mar. 05 2010 03:14 PM
Ana Badra

All my friedns and I refer to avatar as space pocahontas.

Also, UP is terrific. I was not expecting a movie this good when I watched the trailer. It was a delicious surprise.

Mar. 05 2010 02:57 PM
Digital Dame

I heard someone else refer to "Avatar" as "Dances with Wolves" in space.

Mar. 05 2010 02:11 PM
fielife

i've seen this movie.
and i agree that it has a fine picture
even the story seems flat

but i love the childhood part :P
it's funny :D

Mar. 05 2010 01:34 PM
Puerto Escondido Hotels

Up was a great movie though wasn't it. I didn't expect much but really liked it when I watched it.

Never seen pocohontas - but Avatar was an easy watch, pretty thin storyline though.

Mar. 05 2010 11:35 AM
ZuMie

yeah some movies are also familiar like hidalgo. I have seen that cartoon movie when I was a kid but forgot what was the title.

Mar. 05 2010 10:22 AM