My Poet/My Novelist

Friday, February 11, 2011

My Poet/My Novelist, Main Novelist Naeem Murr and poet Averill Curdy (Patrick McMullan)

What’s it like to practice the same line of work as your spouse? What if you’re both writers, but one is a novelist — in love with plot and character — and one is a poet — obsessed with words? Novelist Naeem Murr wrote about that marriage for the Poetry Foundation. We brought him together with his wife, Averill Curdy, for both sides of the story.

1. My Cherie Amour
    Composer: Erik Satie
    Artist: Aldo Ciccolini
    Album: Erik Satie: Works for Piano, Vol. IV: Fantasist Works
    Label: EMI

Pejk Malinovski

TidyWives from North Carolina

Yes, Ed Kissane! We should stop using pronouns. They (the pronouns) are awfully confusing. I (the writer of this piece) quite agree with you (the writer of your piece) that if we (the people in general) did away with pronouns, life would be so much simpler for us (also the people in general). How I (the writer of this piece) wish radio shows were this easy to follow. I (the writer of this peice) think a complaint should be made at the highest level.

Feb. 20 2011 09:09 AM
Lexia from South Jersey

I laughed hardest at the descriptions of the poet, for all of us Emily Dickensians out here. Especially enjoyed the image of the giant ancient dictionary that is wheeled around on its own cart like an invalid. Oh, and the novelist making no apology for getting paid piles of money selling his book to film and the poet getting paid in virtual issues.
I am at once both jealous of the couple for being able to live with their differences and disgusted at myself for liking them.

Feb. 19 2011 03:18 PM
Dorothee from Northfield

I found it endearing and recommended it to many friends and clients ( some of them writers ).
How interesting to read the different responses of people loving and hating it.
our human condition never ceases to surprise me

Feb. 18 2011 03:10 PM
Scott F

It was a humor piece, so I know it shouldn't be taken too seriously -- but I couldn't help feeling it was (for all of its lightheartedness) rather insular and self-indulgent. I'm a writer/illustrator who is married to an artistic woman, so I understand that this was aimed at people like us, but frankly, I would rather hear from husband-and-wife plumbers or truck drivers than these two. I'd like to hear about real life, not heads-up-their-rear-ends creative types. A couple of times I actually wanted to vomit.

Feb. 16 2011 10:15 PM
Michael from Studio 360

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed Naeem's and Averill's story so much. It's one of our favorites, too!

@Jen Singer: We do have social media buttons! You can find them in the "share" link, just above the title of any story, between the "email" and "print" buttons.

@das: You may have heard the story on a previous broadcast of Studio 360. Our producer, Pejk Malinovski, created it with Naeem and Averill in February 2008.

Feb. 14 2011 11:15 AM
chandra from Arizona

A thorough delight. Was that Satie playing in the background? I listened once on my own, and then once again giggling with my husband. We decided we are both the novelist.

Feb. 13 2011 11:57 PM
stevea

Advantage unovelist: Just end the novel before anybody dies.

Feb. 13 2011 11:36 PM
Bill from Salt Lake City

But don't they know we're all going to die? :) What a great piece. Nicely done.

Feb. 13 2011 09:57 PM
Linda from Tinton Falls, NJ

My husband and I, both artists, found this piece very humorous and absolutely related to the dynamics of the my novelist/my poet relationship. As we drove this morning, listening to this piece, we laughed together and then asked each other "who are you the novelist or the poet?" Needless to say it is always a pleasure to listen to Studio 360.

Feb. 13 2011 02:47 PM

My vote for the "heroic yet impotent gesture" goes to the imminent, the not fully apprehended, the "full as a meltindg icicle's bleb showing the inverted world," perhaps because of the masterfully selected "Il vecchio castello" leitmotif (piano http://bit.ly/gGjBRS or in its original, full orchestral realization http://bit.ly/ibzsQC).

Feb. 13 2011 12:50 PM
Chris from Summit, NJ

Poet vs. Novelist. Husband vs. Wife. Really Right Brain against Centrist Right Brain. Hysterical.

Feb. 13 2011 11:54 AM
Jen Singer from New Jersey

This was one of the funniest pieces I've heard in ages. My teens loved it, too. We laughed out loud and then sat in the garage to hear the end of it. Thank you!

You really need to add social media buttons to make it easier to share. I'm going to post it to my Facebook page for all of my writer friends to listen to. Thanks for such great work!

Feb. 13 2011 11:50 AM
Elaina

Where can I find a Naeem of my own?

Feb. 13 2011 10:48 AM
Ed Kissane from NYC

I am asking nyou most sincerely to stop using pronouns. Frequently, when I turn on the radio after your program has started, I do not know to whom you are speaking because you say "you" or "your" or "his" or "her" but very rarely say the person's name!
Eschew the pronoun and during the interview address him (her) by his name.

Feb. 12 2011 06:14 PM
jollyroger from San Fran

Fell to the floor laughing. And I was sitting down! I especially loved "are you working?"(kinda like "are you sleeping?" Ans: not anymore...)

Feb. 12 2011 04:48 PM
das from boston

The longer i listened to this the more familiar it began to sound. Am i crazy or did i hear this exact same recording in england over ...12 years ago? maybe even 15?

Feb. 12 2011 03:41 PM
KC Trommer from Sunnyside, NY

$11 million dollar advance versus payment in an origami bird made out of the recycled submission. Yes.
Perfect.
As is all of the novels of heft versus poems o death bits.

Feb. 12 2011 02:20 PM
Dove from 19119

I thought this was one of the funniest pieces I have heard in years. The truth the honesty was just so profound I laughed to I cried. I listen to your show Saturday mornings while I practice yoga. I had to take a break to listen.
Thank you for the comic relief to a very politically charged week in Egypt.
Peace may prevail yet!