Rickie Lee Jones

Interview

Friday, May 27, 2011

When young Rickie Lee Jones first got famous in 1979, Time called her "The Duchess of Coolsville." Jones, who is touring this summer, is still unimpeachably cool. Kurt Andersen spoke with Jones when she released her latest record, Balm in Gilead, which she wrote after going through a particularly rough patch in her personal life. (Originally aired: December 11, 2009)

See Rickie Lee Jones' 2011 tour schedule.

Bonus Track: “The Moon is Made of Gold”
Rickie Lee Jones performs the track from her album Balm In Gilead live in Studio 360.

Video: Rickie Lee Jones performs “Wild Girl” live in studio

4. Little Yellow Town
    Artist: Rickie Lee Jones
    Album: Ghostyhead
    Label: Warner Bros

Rickie Lee Jones

BIll Bouhlee from Tacoma, WA

Rickie Lee Jones strikes me as a person who has a bit damaged and a lot of personal issues that it would serve her well to be more concerned about. Instead, like a lot of screwed up people who projects her hurt by way of ranting about politics and religion.

Oct. 30 2011 09:18 PM
Jim Morin

Super interview, Kurt. She's still great. How many artists this deep into their careers, especially in 'pop' music, can say that?

Jun. 03 2011 10:15 PM
steve

it's a pretty big leap from "not a fan of
christianity" to a "broad hatred of christianity" that Ricky Lee, not Ricky Lake
said,

May. 29 2011 02:34 AM
ecs from Summit, NJ

Just a correction: the expression "Balm in Gilead" is found not in Genesis, but in the Book of Jeremiah: "Is there no balm in Gilead?"

May. 28 2011 05:01 PM
Kirk Hutchison from Albuquerque NM

Thanks, rabbi, for sticking up for us Christians. I have to say, though, that there are a couple of things wrong with your argument. First, Christians are such by choice, not by birth (technically speaking anyway) so for Rickie to say, I like the teachings of Jesus but not Christians is actually closer to saying, I like what Reagan had to say but I don't like republicans. Second, I completely understand what she's saying. So many of my fellow Christians have failed to represent the teachings of Christ in everyday life (his care for the poor and outcast, a rejection of materialism, his teachings on pacifism, etc.) and instead have come across as pushy, arrogant, and greedy. That sounds rough but it's true. We've redefined sin to mean only those thing pertaining to sex (gay marriage, abortion, premarital sex) and have ignored sins such as greed, envy, hoarding, war-mongering, lying, gossip, pride, etc. of which we are very guilty.
So when Rickie said what she did, I totally got it, as did many if not most of the listeners. I hope my fellow Christians were listening, too, and asking, "Gee, I wonder why she feels that way?" Kurt, no apology needed.

May. 28 2011 12:43 AM
Rabbi David JB Krishef from Grand Rapids, MI

Ricky Lake said -- "I don't like Christian religion, and for the most part I'm not a fan of Christians."

If she had said "I don't like the Jewish religion and for the most part I'm not a fan of Jews," would Mr. Anderson had let it go without comment? Wouldn't he have challenged such blatant anti-Semitism?

So why is it any more acceptable to express such a broad hatred for Christianity?

Had she said simply, "I don't like fundamentalist religion," I would understood and would not have commented, even though I share some values with fundamentalist traditions. If she had said, I respect the person of Jesus but I don't think that traditional Christian denominations do a good job of embracing his values, I would have understood why she doesn't consider her music to be Christian. If she had said that she does not find spiritual fulfillment following the teaching of Jesus as expressed within Christianity, as another non-follower of Jesus, I would have completely sympathized.

I found her anti-Christian expression to be speech that while protected by the constitution, ought not to have found a forum to be published on the public airwaves.

Kurt Anderson, are you willing to respond (publicly or privately)?

May. 27 2011 03:42 PM