Miranda July Sees the Future

Interview

Friday, July 29, 2011

Six years ago, the indie film Me and You and Everyone We Know took everyone else by surprise. It was a smart, funny first-time feature by the short story writer and performance artist Miranda July. Her second film, in which she also stars, is called The Future — it opens this weekend.

It’s the story of a couple in their mid-thirties who are trying to figure out what they should do with their so far slackery lives. Step one: they decide to adopt a stray cat and their perspective on life changes. Seriously changes. (Did we mention the cat can talk?)

On the movie’s website, Miranda July created an online oracle project that sends personal fortunes to subscribers by e-mail. So we decided to put her psychic-advice skills to the test. We asked you to send us the essential dilemma of your life, and your submissions poured in.

July offered personalized readings to a few lucky listeners, including a new mother who shared her fear she'd start making "mom art."

Experimenting with psychic reading was "really liberating and kind of terrifying," July tells Kurt Andersen, "the challenge for me is not to instantly fictionalize these people and make them characters in a story in my head."

Bonus Track: Another Fortune Told

When July intuits the fortune of a listener named Nick, she initially has two visions: “hills … and you being kind of loose and romantic.”

"What's on your mind?"

A survey of all the responses to Miranda July's question.

Miranda July

Michele Siegel

Marie from Brooklyn

Really, was the one notch prettier question necessary?! With such interesting topics and guests sometimes I'm floored at the banality of your questions. Particularly towards women...reminds me of that ridiculous interview with Catherine Deneuve.

Aug. 31 2011 05:34 PM
evrgrnjaye

so lovely ~ miranda, you're a star!

Aug. 27 2011 03:38 PM
plfye from wdc

What's spooky about this is I only discovered July existed when I was curious who the interesting Mike Mills was married to. Two amazing artists who happen to be married

Aug. 13 2011 06:05 PM
Chad from TN

I disagree with Linda from VA. Yes, it was silly and maybe a little idiotic, but that was the point. Did you not hear how Miranda approaches advice? That sometimes really off-beat bad advice is better than something you get from a therapist? I think it is wonderful to be freely creative and intuitive. Some of the best connections are established that way. There is something beautiful and loving about being silly with a stranger. I loved it. Keep it coming!

Aug. 04 2011 11:45 AM
Linda Mooring from VA

I could not have been more disappointed in this segment. What was this? Online FORTUNES? Please do me a favor and "balance" this idiocy with a nice conversation with James Randi. Look him up. I think I need a Studio 360 break. You should be ashamed to give any air time to charlatans like this, even at this little jokey level. This was horrible.

Aug. 03 2011 08:20 PM
Bluestocking from New York

...but it's more interesting for each person to have to decide, every time.

Jul. 31 2011 03:07 PM
Sophie from Poughkeepsie, NY

This was a very enjoyable segment, thank you.

Jul. 31 2011 12:16 PM
Bryce

Miranda July one-notch prettier is Annie Clark.

Jul. 30 2011 03:47 PM