Artists Respond to 9/11: More of Your Suggestions

Listeners On Air

Friday, September 02, 2011

The 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks is approaching, and Studio 360 is putting together a list of the best books, music, movies, and other works of art that have responded to those events. And we want to know what you think should be highlighted.

Scot Terban, from Manchester, Connecticut, suggested the U2 song The Hands That Built America.” He writes “For me, the line ‘It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York skyline Innocence, dragged across a yellow line’ is visceral because I was there working at the pit post-9/11.”

Claudia Chadwick of Seymour, Connecticut, lost her cousin in one of the towers. She suggests Simon Armitage's poem 9/11: Out of the Blue” as read by the actor Rufus Sewell. She calls it “the best and most moving poem I know of dealing with 9/11.” (Watch the video below.)

Next week we'll bring you a special 9/11 anniversary edition of Studio 360 — with interviews with composer Steve Reich, performer Sarah Jones, novelist Mohsin Hamid, and many others.

Tell us what other works need to be on our list and see suggestions from other listeners.

Video: Part I of Simon Armitage’s “911: Out of the Blue” performed by Rufus Sewell — produced for the UK’s Channel 5.

Jan Mekula from traverse city, MI

If you haven'd heard "We Are All Connected" by Jim Bizer, it will make you cry and also give you hope. :The full version is at
www.reverbnation.com/jimbizer

Sep. 10 2011 11:50 AM
Mitch Gallob from NYC

If it's not too late to make a suggestion... your 9/11 music show just wouldn't be complete without Judy Collins's "Kingdom Come"... about the heroism of the 9/11 firefighters. It's a stunning musical epic.

Sep. 09 2011 11:29 PM
David Zung from New York City Region

In a 2002 interview with the NY TImes, the painter Eric Fischl said "I think that September 11 showed us that as an art world we weren't quite qualified to deal with this. Not trained enough to handle it." This is a drawing series about 9/11 that I worked on for many years. I hope it is some part of a remedy to the situation Eric Fischl spoke about. It is called "The Cerberus of September". Cerberus was the giant three headed dog that guarded the entrance to the underworld in Greek Mythology. It is posted at:

vimeo.com/zung/cerberus

Sep. 09 2011 12:17 PM
Betty Palmer from Upper West Side, Manhattan

If it is still possible to suggest music for 9/11, I'd love to suggest,
"Autumn Leaves" " ... I miss you most of all when autumn leaves start to fall."

Sep. 08 2011 12:10 AM
Joan Jones from Idaho

Josh Ritter's "Thin Blue Flame"...

"Now the wolves are howling at our door
Singing bout vengeance like it's the joy of the Lord
Bringing justice to the enemies not the other way round
They're guilty when killed and they're killed where they're found
If what's loosed on earth will be loosed up on high
It's a Hell of a Heaven we must go to when we die"

Another piece that will always move me personally is "Spiritual", from Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny's 1997 "Beyond the Missouri Sky". I was working at our local NPR affiliate as a board operator, and volunteered to cover one of the long weekend shifts. I had this piece on as my fill music for our local break, and for whatever reason (probably inexperience) I couldn't get back to the national feed for the top-of-the-hour newscast, so I let this piece play: all 8:22 of it. It was the most serene and relaxing mistake I ever made. I even had one caller who asked if we could just keep playing music like that for the rest of the day.

Sep. 07 2011 02:15 PM
Janine Blaeloch from Seattle

The movie "Don't Let Me Drown," was very evocative for me. It takes place a month after 9/11 and is the story of a Dominican-American teenage girl whose sister died there and a Mexican-American boy whose father is working on cleanup. It is haunting, but also very evocative of New York, period. It is an ultimately sweet love story, but has realistic teenage grit. A fabulous soundtrack, which unfortunately is not available.

Sep. 06 2011 06:23 PM
David Emery from Topanga, CA

Shortly after the events of 9/11 a good friend of mine wrote a song that really resonated with me. I thought I'd share it here, perhaps it will connect as strongly with others as it did to me. The song is called "Hole In The Sky."
The imagery of a "hole" captured my sense of a void, an emptiness, in the days and weeks following 9/11. Sorrow, disbelief, anger, fear...like so many others around the world I poured it all into the void during that period. But no matter how much is poured in it will never be filled. I think I am finally finding a way to be OK with that.
Here is a link:
Or search YouTube for it.

Sep. 05 2011 04:39 PM
Scott Blake from Omaha, Nebraska

"9/11 Flipbook" by Scott Blake allows viewers to watch a continuous reenactment of the attack on the Twin Towers, is undoubtedly frivolous and provocative. But the artist’s intention reaches beyond mere provocation by hurting peoples’ sensitivities or debasing their memories. Rather, Blake is interested in conducting research on the disparity of opinions and attitudes towards terrorist acts – a fact that is never discussed in the mainstream media. By recording the polyphony of voices in a book, the artist aims to unravel the dominant narrative surrounding this dramatic event.

Sep. 05 2011 10:27 AM
Greg Krueger

May I suggest the cut "When New York Had Its Heart Broke" from the new CD of John Hiatt.

Sep. 04 2011 02:07 PM
Ariella from NYC

Undoubtedly the song that connects most with 9/11 for me - and probably many others - is Simon and Garfunkel's American Tune. It was played on the radio on 9/11 and felt almost prescient - the loss of innocence, "the age's most uncertain hour", the tragedy mixed with "I wonder what went wrong" and "we can't be forever blessed", the souls that "have been battered". And also the human spirit - "I dreamed I was flying... I dreamed I was dying, And far above my eyes could clearly see, the Statue of Liberty... And I dreamed I was flying".

Sep. 04 2011 12:51 PM