Tim Minchin's Christmas Carol

Performance

Friday, November 25, 2011

Tim Minchin closes the show with a Christmas song he wrote for his daughter.

He’s got some bones to pick with the holiday, “all the usual objections to consumerism, to the commercialization of an ancient religion,” he sings, over a gentle waltz, “to the westernization of a dead Palestinian press-ganged into selling Playstations and beer. But I still really like it.” For an Australian living thousands of miles from home, the chance to see his parents, siblings, and Gran is a little miracle worth celebrating.

Video: “White Wine in the Sun”

• White Wine in the Sun
    Artist: Tim Minchin
    Album: Studio 360 Live Performance

Tim Minchin

ymason from Stowe, VT

Love and adore Tim Minchin. Could never hold a candle to lyrics. What a genius!

Jan. 02 2012 11:14 PM
yvette from stowe,vt

I listen to this every day. Love Tim Minchin! Recommend him highly.

Dec. 10 2011 09:33 AM
Carolyn from Brooklyn

I love this. I'm listening to it again and again. Makes me remember what I like about Christmas minus all the consumerism and Black Friday stampedes.

Dec. 03 2011 11:09 PM
John

As I often do on days when I'm off and my wife isn't, I took her to work this morning and heard this on the podcast while driving home. We had just been discussing whether or not to go to the trouble of putting up the tree this year.
This song is LOVELY. It brought tears to my eyes and I realized that I'm not yet ready to have this be the first year we don't go to the trouble. I'm now in the midst of decorating the tree to surprise her.

Nov. 30 2011 10:46 AM

Best Christmas Carol I've ever heard. As a public service this piece ought to be broadcast on all public radio stations, gratis to the small, local stations that can't regularly carry such good programming.

Nov. 30 2011 12:22 AM
Jon88 from NYC

It's kind of dusty in here all of a sudden.

Nov. 29 2011 07:29 PM