Tim Page's Do Not PlayList

Interview

Friday, July 13, 2012

A couple weeks ago, the music critic Tim Page posted a shortlist on Facebook of “perfectly good music that I never need to hear again.” He included Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique, acts 1, 2, and 4 of Puccini’s La Boheme, Dave Brubeck’s "Take Five," and the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band.

“I’m a guy in his late 50s,” Page tells Kurt Andersen, “and I’ve been listening to, say, Sgt. Pepper since I was 13 or 14,” Page explains. “I don’t need to hear it again.” It’s not that he doesn’t like the Beatles — quite the opposite. It’s just that he thinks the album has been played to death.

Aural fatigue is an occupational hazard for a music critic. “By the fourth or fifth time I covered Madame Butterfly,” Page says, “I’d said pretty much everything I had to say about it.” (He still ended up covering it another 25-30 times.) But everyone who loves music has some pieces — of good, even great music — that we just can’t bear to hear again.

→ What’s a song or piece you don’t ever want to hear again?
Tell us your pick — and why — in a comment below, and we’ll put together our Do Not PlayList.  Here's what we've got on it so far:

1. Astral Weeks
    Album: Definitive Pop
    Label: Rhino
  4. Canon in D Major
    Artist: Pachelbel
    Album: Classical Classics
    Label: Big Eye Music
  5. Carmina Burana: I. "O Fortuna"
    Artist: London Symphony Orchestra
    Album: Orff: Carmina Burana
    Label: London Symphony Orchestra
  6. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Artist: The Beatles
    Album: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Label: EMI

Tim Page

Alana Harper

nyima from Himalayas

"Anvil Chorus": Verdiʻs Il Trovatore.

Oct. 04 2013 01:49 PM
old fred from maui

what a bunch of grouches.
here's a new rule i would like:
whenever"okie from muskogee is played, it must be followed by
"wishing all these old things were new"
marijuana was the least of the things merle was smokin' in muskogee.

Feb. 17 2013 10:44 PM
Vivid I from Los Angeles

It is 101 degrees outside I still want to band Christmas music...bah humbug

Aug. 14 2012 11:37 PM
Paul Weller from Dayton, Ohio

AN OPEN (ADMITTEDLY FUTILE) PLEA TO RADIO PROGRAMMERS
I loved R.E.M. from "Radio Free Europe" to the mid-90s; however, there are three R.E.M. songs I used to love that now make my ears bleed.

Radio programming sadists, please stop torturing us with these:
1. "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" -- So overexposed, the general public knows the lyrics better than Michael Stipe. Play "Exhuming McCarthy" or "Finest Worksong" instead.
2. "Everybody Hurts" cannot withstand the airplay abuse it has absorbed. Play "Nightswimming" or "Try Not To Breathe" instead (but not too much).
3. "Losing My Religion" needs to be lost forever. How about "Orange Crush" or "Can't Get There From Here" or "7 Chinese Brothers"?

Two other overplayed R.E.M. hits I no longer wish to hear didn't qualify for this list (never liked 'em much to begin with): "Stand" and "The One I Love."

Aug. 07 2012 04:42 PM
Kev from Charlotte, NC

Used in far too many B-grade movies ever since it came out, George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone. It was a good song the first 10,000 times I heard it, but please try exercising your creativity when making the soundtrack to your movie.

I liked the first REM hit, The One I Love, and still turn it up when it shows up on the radio, but the subsequent songs apparently appealed to a lot of people because they were overplayed. On the plus side, my reflexes sped up reaching for the station preset buttons.

Aug. 02 2012 08:45 AM
Rebecca from New York, NY

...and on a totally different note, any version of "New York, New York".

Aug. 02 2012 12:09 AM
Rebecca from New York

Nessum Dorma from Turandot. It has become totally devalued.

Aug. 01 2012 11:56 PM
Paul Weller from Dayton, Ohio

Thirty years ago, Modern English's "I Melt With You" was a pretty good song. Sad Sadly, the damn thing gets far more airplay now than it ever did in the 80s. I never want to hear it again.

Aug. 01 2012 01:37 PM
Gene Smith from Concord NC

We get what we pay for and since we don't pay for radio we get what the real payers, the advertisers, want us to hear. My solution is my own mp3 playlists or searching for the few radio stations on the internet that use taste and good sense, what a concept, to select songs to play.

Aug. 01 2012 12:09 PM
Rhett from DC

"Born to be Wild" anywhere near a movie sound track dealing with motorcycles.

Jul. 30 2012 09:34 PM
Richard

My "Do Not Play" list:
* Pachelbel's Canon (especially since other composers, such as Purcell, in his Chacony in G, built much more creative work over the same bass line)
* Khatchaturian's "Sabre Dance"
* "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"
And
* "Feelings"

Jul. 30 2012 01:40 PM
Gilles Guénette from Québec

My top 4 Clasical Do Not PlayList would be: Ravel's Bolero | Pachelbel's Canon | Vivaldi's Four Seasons | Strauss' Blue Danube

Jul. 29 2012 05:39 PM
cocomajo from northern ny state

free bird and ramblin man - do i really need to explain why?

Jul. 29 2012 03:16 PM
Danielle Woerner from Woodstock NY

So many overplayed songs, so little time! Top on my list for today is "Hey Jude," after its baffling use by Paul McCartney to conclude the Olympics opening ceremony. Huh? OK, it's a singalong that everyone knows. But what did it have to do with the occasion? I'm a lifelong Beatles fan, don't get me wrong. Just, Sir Paul, there must've been SOMETHING in the entire Beatles/Wings canon that would've been a better fit.

Jul. 29 2012 02:36 PM

I could do without ever hearing There's a Summer Place again.

Jul. 29 2012 12:45 PM
ed

A song generally refers to a piece of music that is to be sung. An instrumental piece is not a song. An exception might be Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words.

Opera goers attend the same opera time and again to see the different singers, conductors, productions. Large scale works like opera, ballet and symphonic works should probably not be considered for this exercise.

Jul. 28 2012 03:17 PM
gidi from The Wilds of Suburban Philadelphia

Second of two: "Walkin' on Sunshine" by Katrina & the Waves. It's just applied indescriminately to film scenes and commercials for which it is not even wholly appropriate. It's so in-your-face relentelssly HAP-PY (said with creepy, fixed, grimacing grin)!!!!! As soon as I hear it, I leave the room.

Jul. 28 2012 08:15 AM
gidi from The Wilds of Suburban Philadelphia

There are so many, where to begin? Number one of two biggies: I love Adele, but "Set Fire to the Rain" makes me want to smash funiture at this point. Enough already!

Jul. 28 2012 08:09 AM
Mike J from Texas

Free Bird. As an antidote try Paul Simon's St. Judy's Comet.

Jul. 27 2012 09:51 PM
Laura markley from Santa Fe, NM

Y'all already covered the Stones, so I am left to say no more anything Credence!! Feels good to say that, thanks!

Jul. 27 2012 06:35 PM
Peter Levy from New York, NY

I am so done with everything from the Rolling Stones, but if I had to pick a great Stones song that I'm had enough of, it would have to be "Satisfaction".

Jul. 26 2012 11:35 PM
Pat C. from Nevada

Feelings and I Just Called to Say I Love You could easily be eliminated.

Jul. 26 2012 03:19 PM
Penny from San Francisco, CA

I'm not sure these qualify as perfectly good pieces but someone must think so as they have chewed up at least 1 billion hours of air time for way to many decades:
"Maggie May" and "You've Got a Friend"

Jul. 25 2012 03:18 PM
Bruce Moseley from Hubbardsville, NY

I nominate two pieces of music:

Maurice Ravel's "Bolero" because when I lived in New Mexico in the late 70s the NPR had about six classical records and played Bolero at least once a day.

"Ashokan Farewell" by Jay Unger because it was overused in Ken Burns' Civil War series.

Jul. 25 2012 01:53 PM
Michael Szuflita (Chef Leeda)

Some songs are a lazy Film/TV/Ad maker’s shorthand to evoke a zeitgeist. I’d be happy never to hear a financial reference that didn’t play Pink Floyd’s “Money” or a quixotic piece that didn’t end with John Lennon’s “Imagine” or any Irish funeral that didn’t drone out “Oh Danny Boy”. Though I love your program, I was surprised you were guilty as well. Right after this segment, didn’t it seem a little cliché for your “Timepiece” story to conclude with “Rock Around the Clock”?

Jul. 25 2012 12:39 PM
Christopher Waldrop from Nashville, TN

Several months ago I started documenting the destruction of a building that had been a Nashville music store. Reading through the comments I'm surprised to see that several of the songs I selected for the soundtrack are on peoples' "no play list".

Jul. 25 2012 08:12 AM
Bradley A from Connecticut

This exercise disappoints me; I can't see how anyone would want to limit their aural landscape. Sure there are plenty of songs I won't miss, but the more I learn and have to compare the more I appreciate entire symphonies, albums, songs or riffs. As a radio DJ (spinning alternative music before it was called that and jazz) there were plenty of songs too heavy in rotation and I over-played my own share of personal favorites. Now as a neophyte middle-aged music student I hear music differently. I can think of overplayed songs, annoying songs, down-right stupid songs, but what I can't think of is why I'd want to exclude any song from ever evolving ears.

Jul. 24 2012 05:28 PM
Jin from NH

Can I get any objections on the matter of blockading all Sonny Bono and Cher era masterpieces?

Jul. 23 2012 11:32 PM
Jim from NH

Yeah Andrew,

And a lot of us are surprised it too you five days to post 'Yesterday' without nailing the Beatles for 'Hey Jude' as well.

Some kind of cop you're apt to become, big boy

Jul. 23 2012 11:17 PM
Andrew

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Yesterday" by the Beatles. It started out good, but by the tenth time I heard it I wanted to throw it out the window.

When I lived in Ottawa in the 1990s, the "classic rock" stations discovered the unplugged version of Eric Clapton's "Layla". Unlike the original, it was soft enough to appeal to the 40-somethings who were listening. The loss of passion just left me depressed.

Jul. 23 2012 10:10 PM
soigne

Any Iggy Pop tune that is the soundtrack to a television commercial.

Jul. 23 2012 03:24 PM
Jack

sooo many, but almost everything from the 70s, including the full libraries of:
Pink Floyd (all time favorite, but played out)
Led Zep
Stones

and so on...yes, I do mean the full library...

On that note though, I came across some music that did give some fresh air to some of these, which was hard rock/metal covers of 100s of classic rock tunes, which was interesting

Jul. 23 2012 09:51 AM
power from seattle

London Calling by the Clash. Brown SUGAR by Rolling Stones. Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols. Rebel Rebel by Bowie. BUT NOT BECAUSE OF OVER PLAYED BUT BECAUSR THESE AMAZING ARTIST HAVE SUCH A VAST LIBRARY YET THIS ALL THAT EVER GETS, PLAYED

Jul. 22 2012 11:36 PM
Marissa from Seattle

Jimmy Buffett 'Wasting Away Again in Margaritaville;' 'Cheeseburger in Paradise'
It seems that perfectly sane people from all walks of life and musical persuasions are perfectly happy to listen to these songs each and every time they get on the water, over and over. Loudly.
I sailed from Hawaii to New Zealand years ago with a captain who played those same songs every day for the whole trip and I have sailed with many other sailors since who put the Buffett on with the same unexplained repetitive verve.

Jul. 22 2012 10:44 PM
Dianne Tolar

"Danny Boy" and/or "Greensleeves" are just so over played. My record loving friend and I agreed on this one for years. No more of either, please.

Jul. 22 2012 07:28 PM
Tracy from NH

"I'll be watching you" by Sting played at weddings. A creepy stalking song is NOT a good choice for a romantic dance.

Jul. 22 2012 05:40 PM
Rick from Flagstaff, AZ

I unfortunately heard a snippet of it yesterday, and changed the station as fast as I could. Less than 1 second.
"Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood, has to be my #1 choice of songs never to hear again.

Jul. 22 2012 04:40 PM
Julia J from East Boston, MA

Free Bird. Fly away. Please.

Jul. 22 2012 03:18 PM
J.M. Hardin from Jamaica Plain (Boston), MA

Coming late to the party, had a crazy couple of weeks and I'm ashamed to say I'm a week behind on some podcasts. Two songs if I never heard again would be quite all right with me:

"Amazing Grace" performed on anything, but *especially on bagpipes. I've simply heard it so much that every time I hear it start I reach for a mute button.

"What a Wonderful World" and of course especially the Sachmo version. I love Sachmo, and being from New Orleans it's kind of mandatory for me, but it's another song that's simply been played into the ground. I heard a cover in Starbucks this week and my instant reaction was, "Oh dear God, not this."

Jul. 22 2012 03:10 PM
ellen from New York,NY

Continuing with what WQXR could play instead of what they do play, how about just about any music from countries we don't hear from very often because their music is foreign-sounding or uses instruments we're not very familiar with, instead of Beethoven, Brahms, Hayden symphonies we all know so well.

Jul. 22 2012 02:49 PM
ellen from New York,NY

I'm sorry to say that just about every piece played on WQXR fits into your category. With all the wonderful less frequently-played 20th & 21st XX music available, they manage to reach for the same old saws, over and over. Even
song cycles -- must it always be Schubert? How about Brahms, Beethoven, Mahler, Wolf?

Jul. 22 2012 02:41 PM
Marisa from Brooklyn, NY

"Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. Great song, great hook, completely ruined by too many covers, radio spins, late night bar bands, karaoke bars, and blues fests around the world.

Jul. 22 2012 01:34 PM
Roger Toomey from Missouri

"Delta Dawn"--I can't believe how a song about a mentally ill woman ever became popular. The subject matter is so bad that I think one would need to be mentally disturbed in order to like it.

Jul. 22 2012 01:24 PM
Claire

Bohemian Rhapsody

Jul. 22 2012 01:17 PM
Carol J from NYC

for do not play list: Bizet's L'Arlésienne

Jul. 22 2012 12:07 PM
Amscray from SYR

I leave the room on hearing the lugubrious "Send in the Clowns" by Robert Goulet (or anybody else).

Jul. 22 2012 11:42 AM
Andrea from Brooklyn, NY

If I ever hear anything played from Pink Floyd's The Wall again it will be WAY TOO SOON. Love this question.

Jul. 22 2012 11:38 AM
Geoffrey Pankhurst from Cleveland Ohio

The Four Tops:"Reach Out I'll Be There" is a Motown classic,
but when I was 17, I was on a very low budget U.K cruise ship in the Mediterranean for two weeks.
The jukebox in the lounge area had a problem and played "Reach Out"about every other song regardless of what song was selected.
Passengers continued feeding the jukebox in the hopes that it would actually work.
After hearing it hundreds of times it is the only Motown song I just do not need to hear again.
Maybe this will help exorcise it.

Jul. 22 2012 10:58 AM
Dan Schneider from USA

I'd love to never hear Lee Greenwood's "Proud to Be An American" song. It was the anthem for the Gulf War - the war during which I served - but has since become kind of a cynical joke from my perspective.I cringe when they play it at football games and all those people stand up and bellow about how they will "proudly stand up next to you" and fight for freedom when the fact is the vast majority did not and will not serve. Such a small portion of our population chooses to serve and pay for our freedoms/foreign policy decisions while the vast majority of Americans barely recognize America is at war. The song has become the anthem of feel-good, phony patriotism.

Jul. 22 2012 10:33 AM
Erin from Leesburg, VA

There are several songs I never want to hear again, but top of the list has to be Bruce Springsteen's 'Born in the USA'. I love Bruce, always have; but that whole album and tour was so huge that the songs can't help but have been overplayed, 'Born in the USA' in particular. These days, it's the song in his live shows when certain fans take a bathroom break. In addition to being overplayed, 'Born in the USA' has become an occasional anthem for the closed minded to sing against people who weren't 'Born in the USA'. They don't get it.

Jul. 22 2012 07:36 AM
DevOfBowie from Bowie, MD USA

Since the 80's, I've reached for the dial every time "Don't You Forget About Me" has come on the radio. After Breakfast Club became a hit in 1985, it apparently became mandatory that the song be played no less than 150 times a day by every pop and rock station across the dial. You couldn't get away from it then, and probably to the great chagrin of The Simple Minds, it's become their biggest hit. It's been reported that the band first refused to even record the track, possibly fearing its ability to strangle the musical landscape like an aggressive species of weed. And like a bermuda grass, try as you might, you can't kill the roots of the thing, which are its bouncy beat and faux-epic synth grandeur. It lives on despite my frantic dial switching, ready to pop up again when I least expect it.

Jul. 21 2012 11:41 PM

Hold up one g d minute.

I suppose the weed who's only beef was with Cyndi Lauper could at least cite one single lousy reasoning behind his myopic little brain fart.

Queue up some Bangles or Motels for that lost boy's sake.

But deffnately don't play him anything by Barry Manilow.

I am seriously begging all of you.

Please.

I'd say.

Jul. 21 2012 08:44 PM

Curtis,

I get the feeling that the air (radio) space in your area has been saturated with so much other raw (simple) hits in your county as to have excluded everything and ANYTHING as raw as The Smithereens in the last 18 months.

Please check em out on well YouTube if you have web tv or a transistor radio or anything like that. Then be sure to get back to me here, k?

Jul. 21 2012 07:29 PM

Liz,

I'd submit to you that the shear number of filler tunes per album per music artist per capita per year has not been a secret to us cratchity old geriatrics.

Us boomers for instance have always had to deal with the lost forgotten chillen of the elites who are forced to listen to the "classic" classics.

The older you get the better you'll be able to pick out the grossest violations among your generations filler fluff. My guess is that the really lame stuff will be "in there" even amidst the hip hop and such.

As time goes on...

To quote one refrain.
As if any of us relics here might wish we could alter the course of the lamestream.

Name your top five bones of all time.

Help us out, girl.

Jul. 21 2012 05:47 PM

Hopefully, a database of this thread will be compiled and eventually cross referenced into or sold to mega media radio affiliates' playlists.

I would urge all congressional reps to support any legislation which demanded that every song named in this thread not be fully legally restricted from the airwaves, but rather tariffed (per play) to the maximum extent of the law.

Except anything off the Sgt Peppers album, until further review.

Jul. 21 2012 05:03 PM
Liz

Just reading over all of the other comments and had no idea how much this show skewed towards an older demographic...almost all classical and songs from the 1960s. Baby Boomers R Us!

No rap, no soul, hardly any indie music or songs published after 1980. Wow!

Jul. 21 2012 04:53 PM
Tony from New York City

The Flower Duet from Leo Delibe's opera "Lakme" is lovely both as a vocal duet and an orchestral piece. But I am tired of hearing it as an underscore to sell luxury cars or other high-end products.

Jul. 21 2012 04:43 PM
Curtis from Maryland

Hmmm. So many choices. So little space. Let me be specific. Though I mention a single song, it does not mean that I can disregard the rest of the LP. With that said... Bennie and the Jets. Stevie Nicks' songs (with Fleetwood Mac and without), Adele's 21 LP, Rhianna, Beyonce and GaGa, Like A Virgin, Hotel California (love the Last Resort), Lying Eyes, Dream Weaver, Cocaine (live or studio), Stairway to Cubicle, Do You Feel Like We Do?, Maggie May, Crazy Train, Moves Like Jagger (or anything by this band), This Kiss, Band on the Run, Last Dance, Bad Girls, or MacArthur Park (any version), What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger), anything by Michael Jackson after 1973, anything by Genesis after 1992, Phil Collins... the sad reality is that if they flipped the 45 over, or played a different song from the same LP that wasn't a single, life could be so much more beautiful. Radio actually might keep it's listeners, rathering than having us compile these kinds of lists. One last note: almost the same songs ad infinitum on Baltimore, Maryland's radio stations are played in rotation daily (repeat this line every January 1st). It's a greatest hits-commercial music city with very little choice outside of NPR stations...

Jul. 21 2012 04:38 PM
Liz

Too many to name but the one that comes immediately to mind is Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. It always starts out the same, sung softly, respectfully, and then builds to ludicrous heights of emotionality, as if the person is delivering THE MOST IMPORTANT SONG IN THE WORLD. Powerful the first time you hear the song..but at this time, it is like the Star Spangled Banner of emo songs. I blame American Idol but, truthfully, the song was overdone before they got it posted on their playlist for wannabe belters. It now feels less revelatory and more like calculated and insincere emotionality. Doesn't matter who sings it now, it's been ruined for me.

Jul. 21 2012 04:34 PM
Maxine Edison from Beatlesland

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Back in high school, I heard this song day after day after day. I heard it sung quite well, but most of the time, it sounded terrible. Many of my high school classmates fell in love with Freddie Mercury just like today's Bieber Fever. The only exception I made for the song was the Muppets video of the song.

Jul. 21 2012 04:29 PM
Sona from Newark, NJ

Anything by Cyndi Lauper...

Jul. 21 2012 04:27 PM
CYN from NYC

While I would wash Leonard Cohen's feet, given the opportunity, I wish "Suzanne" would have thrown herself into the river.

Jul. 21 2012 04:26 PM

Lisa,

Is there a number by Sting you would rather not hear again?

Lemme guess.

'Roxanne' ?

me

Jul. 21 2012 04:22 PM

I forgot to say to Lisa how much her comment gave me the stones to say what I just said.

Jul. 21 2012 04:03 PM
Jim from New Hampshire

Mellencamp's 'Ain't That America'

Neil Diamond's 'Coming to America'

Probably sounds unpatriotic of me, but somehow in my mind, both of those songs have always stood out as particularly irritating. Overly patronIZING, if you will.

From the very first time I heard each of those, I've always sensed they were written to tap excessive bliss and reinforce a kind of blind trust (ignorance) nationalism and conformance to whatever was to come down the pike next.

30 years later it turns out my gut (feeling) probably wasn't too off the mark.

For the record, I can still tolerate Crow's 'Soak Up The Sun'. And Cool and The Gang's 'Celebrate'. So long as I'm at least 4 drinks into a wedding reception.

Seeya

Jul. 21 2012 03:00 PM
Don Wendorf from Birmingham, AL

No contest: "Somewhere My Love" (or Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago) Wildly popular in late '60's when I played in a Dave Brubeck-inspired jazz quartet. Bad enough we had to play "business man's bounce" (think Lawrence Welk) when we wanted to play everything in 5/4 or 9/8 time, but this sweet little, too memorable waltz? We even tried to discourage it with our Guy Lombardo-inspired pulsating, trembling saxophone arrangement (think pile-driver on steroids). They loved it. "Somewhere My Love?" Someday, somewhere else. Not today. For awhile the slow movement form Mozart's 21st piano concerto (theme from Elvira Madigan) was similarly overdone, although a gorgeous piece. Now I play bluegrass, so add in "Rocky Top" and "Fox on the Run."

Jul. 21 2012 02:59 PM
B.L. TOBIN from Somerville MA

No disrespect to the late (great?) Levon Helm, but it's ok
with me if I never hear The Weight or Cripple Creek again, ever.

Jul. 21 2012 10:49 AM

Hotel California -- Eagles
Maggie Mae -Rod Stewart

(it's a tie)

Jul. 20 2012 12:45 PM
gina from new mexico

I don't ever want to hear another maudlin, hyper-sincere cover of Leonard Cohen's "Halleluja."

Jul. 20 2012 11:31 AM
tristan from Los Angeles, CA

Neutral Milk Hotel's "In an Aeroplane Ove the Sea". This is not a specific song, but it seems everyone obsesses over this album. I did the same when I first heard it, but i would be very happy to never hear it again.

Jul. 20 2012 02:46 AM
Lisa Matlock from Homer, Alaska

I love Bruce Springsteen and "Born in the USA", but I vote for it to be added to the list due to context. How many times has that song been played at sports events, 4th of July, and other red-blooded American venues? It is not a patriotic song; it is an anti-patriotic song. Which the idiots pumping their fists in the air as they sing the chorus would know had they ever listened to the rest of the lyrics. It makes me understand why Europeans think Americans are stupid, and it ruins a great song.

Jul. 19 2012 02:29 PM
Beth J from New Jersey

Has anyone else had the experience of moving something off their "do not play" list back onto the "happy to listen to it whenever" list?

I worked for a ballet company for 10 years. "Waltz of the Flowers" was a pretty tired number for me, even before I started there -- but after 2 years in a (non-dancing) job that required many, many listenings to "Waltz of the Flowers," I got to the point where I would abandon grocery shopping carts I had spent an hour filling to escape the sudden piped-in onslaught of "Waltz of the Flowers."

Then, about 5 years into the job, I was standing at the back of the theatre watching "Flowers" and something snapped -- I still don't know quite what -- my snottiness, maybe. Suddenly the music was fresh and beautiful. My ears had moved beyond the cliche and I was listening to "Waltz of the Flowers" as if for the first time, and heard its beauty. 15+ years later I'm still happy to hear this waltz, even in July.

I have no expectation, or desire, to have this revolutionary experience with "Fur Elise."

Jul. 18 2012 09:07 PM
Jusa from Phila, PA

Amazing Grace. I'm tired of hearing it in its many manifestations. Albeit, the lyrics are humbling, and the story behind the hymn is interesting. Do we really all believe we are wretches, though?

Jul. 18 2012 09:31 AM
Laura Spaulding from Sarasota, FL

I teach beginning voice and piano. I could live quite happily if I never, ever heard "Fur Elise" or "Caro mio ben" again! I do not offer to teach those pieces, but if students specifically ask for them... well, what am I to do? I put my ear plugs in and suffer through. Sigh!

Jul. 18 2012 08:40 AM
dewluca from Minneapolis, MN

I agree with many of the above suggestions, but would add:

Ralph Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Talis

A beautiful piece, but recently the local npr classical station seemed to be playing it almost every day . . . at one point I actually said out loud "Oh no, not this again!"

In fact most of my "Do Not Playlist" consists of songs that I don't think are "bad" but have just been overplayed . . . Radio Station Programmers Please Take Note! :)

Jul. 17 2012 11:30 PM
Joe

The list is enormous--among the great songs that were ruined for me long ago by ceaseless commercial radio repetition: anything by the Beatles, "Time" and "Money" (Pink Floyd), "Another Brick in the Wall", "Comfortably Numb", "Closer to Fine" (Indigo Girls), "Least Complicated",...on the classical side, please, please, never again play Pachelbel's Canon!

Jul. 17 2012 10:05 PM
Sistine Callen from Fulton, New York

Please 'no more': "Born to Run", "Freefalling", "Old Time Rock and Roll", "Piano Man", "Cocaine" (Clapton did NOT write that one, OK?), "Crockodile Rock". There are more, but the above mentioned: I will change radio station to avoid hearing these. Agree totally with the overdone Christmas music. Attended the Nutcracker ballet 4 or 5 times in my life. Now every other gift business uses that as its' background/bumper music - Ad Nauseum! What do I NEVER get tired of hearing? The Spinners "I'll be Around" (guitar), Elvis's "A Little Less Talk, And Alot More Action" (the beat, percussion) , Frank Sinatra's "Time After Time" (the Columbia version- so much emotion).

Jul. 17 2012 06:25 PM
Slim from Seattle, WA

Anything by Dirty Projectors. Worst male vocals I've ever heard.

Jul. 17 2012 03:37 PM
Robert Lloyd from Savannah GA

I never want to hear "Summertime" again.

Let me amend that. If I were ever to see a production of "Porgy and Bess", I could hear "Summertime" again. In that context, I might even enjoy it. However, I never need to hear it again outside that context, particularly by any jazz, blues, or folk singers, even the ones I like.

I never again want to hear "Let the Circle Be Unbroken" or "I'll Fly Away" especially done by a folk group, probably featuring men with beards and skinny, leathery women in calico dresses.

I never want to hear "This Land Is Your Land"... ESPECIALLY the original by Woody Guthrie.

If I also happened to hear any of those songs done on "A Prairie Home Companion", I might spontaneously combust.

Jul. 17 2012 10:15 AM
Susan Averre from Ohio

Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, Horse with No Name.

Jul. 17 2012 06:54 AM
Bob Bryan from New Jersey

There is nobody less tolerant of music than an ex-fan. I listened to Beetles music endlessly in my teens, now I can’t stand it. At end of the segment, I listened critically to the excerpt of Sgt. Pepper and thought “That is not bad--I can’t stand it, but it is not bad.” As far as I am concerned all the Beetles music, in fact most of the 60’s and 70’s rock has been played to death. Some of it is quite good but I would be happy if I never heard it again.

Others that are massively over played:

Pachelbel’s Canon
Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons
Ravel's Bolero

Jul. 16 2012 11:21 PM
kathy from salt lake city

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, by Burl Ives - my pick for do not play list

Jul. 16 2012 07:06 PM
DebB from Seattle

Norah Jones makes me wish there was a "hyperspace" button on my radio like there was on the old Asteroids video game of the 70s. I liked her stuff at first, years ago, but something about it seems so monotonous to me now, played out, I think I don't even want to hear anything from her new release.

Jul. 16 2012 05:35 PM
Julia Barton from Studio 360

Some of these ideas about songs, recording and playback cross-pollinate really well with a conversation the songwriter Jon Brion had over at Sound Opinions. Roman Mars recently highlighted this interview at 99% Invisible. Brion talks about his division between "songs" and "performance pieces."

So interesting!

Jul. 16 2012 04:30 PM
Buddry from nirvana

Bob Falesch from Upstate NY (7/11, 2:11) I guess that means that you like Turandot and Edgar.

Jul. 16 2012 03:12 PM
violet from

Black Dog/Led Zeppelin

Long and Winding Road/Beatles (and I LOVE the Beatles)

Almost anything by the Who, with the exceptions of 'I Can't Explain', 'The Kids are Alright', 'I Can See for Miles' and 'Long Live Rock'. I hold the CSI series largely responsible for this.

'Turn, Turn, Turn' and all those Dylan remakes by the Byrds

Most of the hits by the Mamas and Papas, especially 'Monday Monday'. 'Creeque Alley' can stay.

Jul. 16 2012 01:24 PM
JD14626 from Rochester, NY

I fell in love with the Who's Album "Who's Next" when I was a teen. I don't ever need to hear the album again. In particular the song "Won't Get Fooled Again" has been been beaten to death.

Giving it more thought there are probably a bunch of Who songs that would make this list along with other bands of the same vintage and popularity.

I do still think one of the best ever albums was "The Who Sell Out"

Jul. 16 2012 11:14 AM
Bristol from Michigan

I don't need to hear any song from Pink Floyd's The Wall ever again. I think it's a great piece of art and quite an musical and artistic accomplishment for its time, however I would be happy never to hear it again. It's overplayed on classic rock radio stations as well as from young adolescent teenagers' smoking pot for the first time.

Jul. 16 2012 10:46 AM
Pat O from Massachusetts

I would love to never hear another Elvis song.

Jul. 16 2012 08:52 AM
Eric from Pittsburgh, PA

Some friends and I just had this exact conversation--about not necessarily disliking a song, but wanting never to hear it again.

Every couple of years I can genuinely enjoy a Tom Petty song. Most of the cover bands playing at local bars choose at least 2 Tom Petty.

Classic Rock stations have been playing the same 40 songs for as long as I can remember. I dislike most of the pop music that comes out today, but at least those top 40 songs change.

Jul. 16 2012 02:15 AM
Joshua Israelsohn from Boston

Tim Page nailed it when he called out Canon in D Major by Pachelbel, though he was far kinder in the on-air interview than the piece deserves. It is insipid--well formed, I'm sure--but utterly insipid. If I NEVER hear it again, it will be too soon.

I think the interesting thing about Page's original notion is that there are pieces that we might readily admit are great and still don't want to hear again. In that regard, the Canon in D Maj and "Horse with No Name" don't really qualify because we (or at least I) don't readily admit any such thing with regard to those pieces. They are just crap. They were crap on first hearing and they've improved not one bit with repeated exposure.

So restricting myself to the original premise--music that I think is great that I never want to hear again--doesn't bring much to mind. I suppose Peter, Paul, & Mary's "Leaving on a Jet Plane" qualifies as does Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill" and "Walking to New Orleans", Herman's Hermits' "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter", the Rolling Stone's "Ruby Tuesday", and the Beatles' "Penny Lane".

Jul. 16 2012 01:20 AM
Mike from Bainbridge Island, WA

"Old Days" by Chicago (ca 1975) - It's a good song if you like Chicago but it was reminiscing about the past 37 years ago - one station in Seattle plays it more or less the same time every day and it's starting to get me down!

Jul. 15 2012 10:52 PM
Bill Larson from Poulsbo, WA

Anyone else notice that Blues Traveler's "Hook" is a knockoff of Pachelbel's Canon in D major? Same exact chord progression.

Jul. 15 2012 10:50 PM
kit

Hey, Jude

Jul. 15 2012 10:49 PM
Cory Molzahn from Seattle, WA

"Hotel California." Used to love the song. Now, please -- make it stop.

Jul. 15 2012 10:46 PM
Jon A. Gibson from Orlando, FL

"A Summer Place". I wanna empty my revolver into any stereo playing that!

Jul. 15 2012 09:46 PM
Valerie A. Metzler from Altoona, Pennsylvania

Amazing Grace. It's as if it's the only Protestant hymn available!

Jul. 15 2012 08:56 PM
Michele from New Hampshire

I think that we have enjoyed, but could live a full life without ever having to hearing "Bohemian Rhapsody"every day.

Jul. 15 2012 07:54 PM
Arlene Gay Levine from New York

"Autumn Leaves" would be my pick. As a little girl, I listened while my mother sang along with it, ever so wistfully, on the radio. It made me wonder, and occasionally worry, who she was thinking about. Now, when I hear any version of it, which happens often on the jazz channels I frequent and truly like clockwork as summer starts to wind down, it is ever more poignant and painful. My mother passed away several years ago in late autumn. I do love the song, but each time it begins, I can't help but want to turn it off just not to feel my heart break a tiny bit, once more.

Jul. 15 2012 06:39 PM
Tim Page from Los Angeles

This is fun -- a lot like the original Facebook page. Thanks Kurt!

One slight correction -- I'll never get sick of "Astral Weeks." For me, it is Van Morrison's greatest album (with a doff of the hat to "St. Dominic" and "Veedon Fleece."

I do hope that some of the readers here will check out Okkervil River, High Llamas and some of the other indie bands that are doing at least as good work as many of the 1960s titans. And Judee Sill was a great and tragic genius, who still merits more discovery than she has had, some 40 years after her last record.

Jul. 15 2012 05:56 PM
mike stahl from Baltimore, MD

Having grown up in Detroit during the 60s I was avid about the Motown labels and they comprised the larger numbers of my collection. Since the mid 80s those songs I loved so much as a teenager have been used for every promo and movie soundtrack to the extent that I am tired of them all. I hope all grocery stores and malls have a virus that hits their music boxes so that I never have to hear "My Girl" again...that is until I lay on my death bed. Perhaps I can hear it one last time and not think of some awful Julia Roberts move.

Jul. 15 2012 05:41 PM
vee

I agree about Christmas carols on November 1st- please, not before mid-December anyway!

The beautiful "Amazing Grace" has been (badly) sung at too many singalongs, rituals & demonstrations.

And as much as I like Clapton, enough of the droopy/drippy "You Look Wonderful Tonight" (I associate it with prom queens & bridezillas).

It's not so much a matter of "never again" curmudgeonliness (curmudgeonhood?) - there's usually an "OFF" switch- but for a reviewer, or an attendee at a rally, wedding, or department store in December, it's the feeling of being "trapped" into being oversaturated with favorites-- like being force-fed chocolates, maybe.....

Jul. 15 2012 03:18 PM
Bahar Anooshahr from Atkinson, NH

Vivaldi's Four Seasons and Beethoven's Fur Elise. Please give those pieces a break.

Jul. 15 2012 03:17 PM
Donald Naiden from Takoma Park, Md.

Hilarious idea. I have a couple more offerings:

Respect, Aretha. Obviously a great song, but after about 5,000 times, let's move on, OK?
Maggie May by Rod Stewart. It wasn't THAT great to begin with, and now, well, I'm going to break something if I have to hear it again!

I have another great suggestion: What songs to you have guilty pleasure liking--you know that they're really silly/bad/babyish/tacky/copycat/cloying/ridiculous, but you just can't help but like them?

Jul. 15 2012 03:17 PM
Martin Jarrett from St Louis,Mo.

Eine kleine Nachtmusik and Beethoven's fifth symphony.These two pieces are played to death,while some other great works by these two geniuses get little attention.

Jul. 15 2012 03:11 PM
Ken Druse from brooklyn and nj

I was a filmmaker in college -- I cannot say how many student films used Erik Satie, and especially Gymnopedie No.3, and number one in that order. A quick glance at youtube shows there is no end in sight (forty years later). Pachelbell's canon got ruined at weddings, and next -- The Flower Duet from Lakmé -- I have a few more rounds with his one.
The worst thing used to be when commercials (airline) got hold of music, when airlines had money to advertise.

Jul. 15 2012 03:05 PM
HS from Brooklyn

Regarding the topic of allergies and aversions regarding (good, worthy) works of art: Here's a great article by literary critic Tim Parks, who uses family systems theory to explain why some authors' themes always leave us cold, while others always interest us: http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/apr/25/why-readers-disagree/

Jul. 15 2012 03:05 PM
Steve Franklin

I find some music that I used to love is less interesting after I have played it many times in the background. Digital music has made it so easy to bring my choices along wherever I go and whatever I am doing. After a while, even the best music sounds stale . But with best (Sgt Pepper, In Search of the Lost Chord, Revolver,Recent Songs-Leonard Cohen, to name a few), the can come alive again if I let some time pass, and then play the music for my exclusive, close attention.

Jul. 15 2012 02:58 PM
Lynn Powers from Brooklyn, NY

Please please tell all radio friends, "stairway to heaven" again is really like experiencing a slow boat to hell.

Jul. 15 2012 02:57 PM
Ogsbury

A lot of the "epic" songs from the 1960s and 1970s are great when heard sparingly, but cannot take repeated exposure. In this category I would put such diverse songs as the Who's "Love, Rain on Me", Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant", Don Henley's "Garden of Allah", or Jamie Brockett's "Ballad of the USS Titanic."

Jul. 15 2012 02:48 PM
Crystal from Boston

My generation grew up on Nirvana. Unfortunately, when they play just about any song on the radio now with Kurt's voice, I want to jump out the closest window (or change the station immediately). They are so incredibly overplayed.

Jul. 15 2012 02:48 PM
Ed Radich from Jersey City, NJ

Songs we don't need to hear again. Really, Kurt? To think I had more faith on you. That whole train of thought is best left to jaded, over-educated and elitist media types to pass time over cocktails at the Waverly Inn. I had a professor on college who urged us to retread the Iliad every ten years or do because it would mean something different with the passage of time. So, why not listen to music with an ear for what we take for granted? And if sitting through The Ring Cycle for the umpteenth time is such a bore, then cross yourself of the guest list.

Jul. 15 2012 02:46 PM

Lived in Europe for a few years and the radio there was a little different. Didn't matter what band (American or British) they were playing, chances were that you never heard the song before. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd? Nope, they've never heard of that one...but they do have a favorite from an obscure B-Side.

99.1 WHFS in Annapolis, Baltimore, Washington was the greatest commercial radio station of its time. Although I loved it dearly, I always had to change the station when Damian would come on. I don't know where he found that music, and try as I might to listen and "get it". I never "got it." I'm sorry Damian, I failed you.

Jul. 15 2012 02:24 PM
Bob Falesch from New York Upstate

I don't like the idea of a never-want-to-hear-again list without an offsetting "will-listen-anytime" list (including the same musicians), but it's so much fun to ponder, I couldn't help myself. My 'Do Not Playlist':

Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik * Pachelbel: Canon, in D * Ravel: Bolero * Bill Evans: Tokyo Concert * Orff: Carmina Burana * Vivaldi: The Four Seasons * Kenny G: Silhouette * Beethoven: Sym 9, Mvt IV * Beethoven: Sym 4 * Beethoven: The Five Piano Concertos * Beethoven: Violin Concerto * Clark Terry: Mumbles * Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in b, "Unfinished" * Dave Brubeck: Strange Meadow Lark * Maxwell-Davies: Caroline Mathilde * Mahler: Sym 1 * Mahler: Des Antonius von Padua Fischpredigt * Copland: Appalachian Spring, Rodeo * Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht * Led Zeppelin: Stairway to Heaven * Bat for Lashes: Two Suns * Verdi: Nabucco, Rigoletto, Il trovatore, Simon Boccanegra, Un ballo in maschera, La forza del destino, Aida, Simon Boccanegra, Otello, Falstaff * Puccini: La bohème, Tosca, Madama Butterfly, La fanciulla del West, La rondine, Il tabarro, Suor Angelica, Gianni Schicchi

Jul. 15 2012 02:11 PM
Tyson Deal from Athens, GA

Bob Marley and the Wailer's "Legend"
It's the one reggae album EVERYONE has... and the ONLY reggae music that most people know. It is the best selling reggae album of all time. God bless Bob Marley, but God forbid playing that album again!

Jul. 15 2012 01:02 PM
Busted Vinyl from Champlain NY

Fleetwood Mac- Rumors Everyone owned it, you heard it everywhere and it just won't die! Thunder only happens when it's rainin'....'come on you know the words..AND 'Who Let the Dogs Out?' I think Stevie Nicks did.

Jul. 15 2012 12:58 PM
Victoria from East Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Could we expand the Do Not Play list to radio shows? If I never hear Prairie Home Companion again as long as I live, as the saying goes, it will be too soon. Oh yes, I used the enjoy the sly irony, the satire, the self-deprecating humor of the wry and insightful Mr. Keillor, but really, Garrison, it's time to come up with some fresh jingles, tropes and concepts. Even I don't want to hear Born to Run every weekend for the rest of my life, and for me that is one of rock 'n rolls finest anthems. Time to retire the gentle citizens of Lake Wobegon. Time to think back fondly of the show that thinks back fondly.

Jul. 15 2012 12:15 PM
Dave DiDo from Akron, Ohio

I love Christmas carols, but the radio stations that start playing nothing but carols a month before Christmas should have their licenses revoked. Sorry, John, but "And So This Is Christmas" is now fingernails on chalkboard.Sir Paul, they've killed "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime". Even "Mary's Boy Child" which was once rare and refreshing is now a yawner. Tell your local radio stations you will boycott Christmas songs until Christmas eve.
As for the songs of my youth, I enjoyed the Stones'"Satisfaction" the first thousand times I heard it, but I think it should be put in a 10-yr. time capsule.
I don't want to seem unpatriotic, but the "Star-Spangled Banner" doesn't need to be played at every single sporting event. Most singers ruin it anyway when they try to sing it soulfully.Let's restrict its use to really special events and it might be more dynamic.

Jul. 15 2012 12:05 PM
Charleen Pernat from Whitesboro, NY (WRVN)

Please add Ravel's "Bolero." I love it, but ......

Jul. 15 2012 12:01 PM
Foxy Baker from Nashville

I strongly agree with "Hotel California" and "Stairway to Heaven". I adore Queen but "We Will Rock You/ We Are the Champions" Makes my skin crawl. I also can't bear jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville", and Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner".

Handel's "Water Music" is also tiresome.

Lord, let's not forget Etta James' "At Last." annoying anytime but especially nauseating at weddings.

Being in Nashville, Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire has also worn out its welcome on my playlist.

Jul. 15 2012 12:00 PM
Rita in Virginia from Charlottesville

Enjoyed the show about songs you'd rather not hear again. Aussies are brilliant with commercials. They did one with the dramatic Carmina music that was just amazing. So whenever I hear that particular piece of music, I think of Carlton Draft Beer hahaha

Rita

Also check out this guy who does covers of Beatles songs but is just amazingly fresh:

Jul. 15 2012 11:54 AM
VTDave from New Jersey

"Suspicious Minds" and "Burning Love" by Elvis. Please do the world a favor and just delete them from all playlists.

Jul. 15 2012 11:53 AM
Janna from Bronx, NY

I'm an opera singer. If I never hear Offenbach's "Les Contes d'Hoffmann" again, I will die a happy person. Add to that all of Lionel Ritchie's solo recordings.

Jul. 15 2012 11:49 AM
Misswit from BK

Love Van Morrison, but please I never need to hear Brown Eyed Girl again.

Jul. 15 2012 11:47 AM
circuitsmith from Wash. DC

Please don't forget the working musicians in bands that cover popular songs. They have to play these gems 100's of times.
I'm just an amateur sax player, so I haven't played "Mister Magic" enough to get sick of it, like some professional friends tell me they have.

The cure for too much "Take 5" is to find the recording of Brubeck and Gerry Mulligan on the baritone sax at the Newport Jazz Festival. They break new ground.

Jul. 15 2012 11:29 AM
Kathy M from Ohio

HEART.AND.SOUL. Everyone thinks they can play it on the piano. A music teacher's nightmare....

Jul. 15 2012 11:20 AM

Anything by Nancy LaMotte. Everything she sang has that godawful tremolo in it, and all of her songs, even the allegedly upbeat ones, depress me to the point where I want to drive a sharp object into my own eye.
Tony Bennett's recording of "I Never Knew a Day I Didn't Love You" and Sinatra's recordings of the Soliloquy from Carousel and "Old Man River" (!!!) make me want to stick my head in the oven.

Jul. 15 2012 11:14 AM
LMR from Berkeley, CA

If anyone plays "Amazing Grace" at my funeral, I will haunt them to eternity.

Jul. 15 2012 09:24 AM
Tim from St. Paul MN

As I hear my 17 year old son play Eric Clapton over and over, whom I never ever ever found interesting, I am trying to be open to the idea that everyone is on a personal journey with this very intimate art form. I'd be interested to know if there's a scientific reason for why the generation divide exists in this art form.

Jul. 15 2012 08:03 AM
Gryffyn from Minnesota

"Hey Jude". It wasn't that great to begin with. Ditto, "Let it be".

Jul. 15 2012 07:50 AM
Viki from California

I'm almost 70 - Lawrence Welk music makes me gag. PBS still plays him. His era was christian, authoritarian and in my experience phony; but always the bubbles. Father knows best - untrue. I love the blues, rock and roll, country and a little bit of opera. As I age, every once in a while I just love a new talent, like Adell. I find most music is just an updated version of what I've heard in my growing years. Youth! Keep it comming - you might make a good song better, and I've heard that too - Dion. Recording techniques are so much better now. I didn't like Elvis in my youth, but I totally enjoy him now. Of course I get to pick and choose when I listen [CD] or see him [DVD.]

Jul. 15 2012 06:01 AM
Boojangles from in the boojdocks

Nelly Furtado's "I'm like a Bird." Talk about a song you can't get shed of. This came out in 2000 and I'm still going around the house singing, "I don't know where my watch (or whatever I've lost) is." And I just re-listened to this. What a mistake. I had forgotten how awful and annoying her voice is. Why did I do that? Now I can't get her voice out of my head either.

Jul. 15 2012 02:47 AM
Carol Cancro from Providence, RI

I don't need to hear anybody's version of "Amazing Grace" ever again. I would challenge other listeners to prove me wrong, but please don't try. I just can't bear it--

Jul. 14 2012 09:59 PM
Scott from DC

The International Blues Competition has the "no Mustang Sally" rule for just this reason.

Jul. 14 2012 09:18 PM
lydia from Maryland

ANYTHING by Frankie Beverly and Maze. "Happy Feeling" "Before I Let Go" "Joy and Pain", All of them. All of their songs are done, finite, played out. I am sick of all of their music. They were HOT back in the day, 70's and they have NOT made anything since then. I KNOW I will have my Black Card revoked IMMEDIATELY and suffer a severe beat down if any Black person reads this. But I don't care. They are really played out and I"m tired of hearing their stuff.

Jul. 14 2012 09:14 PM
Ben from Houston

Great piece, I have been going on about this exact subject lately as I filter out my digital music collection.

Kiss - Rock and Roll All Night. Fine song, obviously, but I never need to hear it again, for the rest of my life. I will never ever ever hear it in a situation where it'll sound better than it did 20 years ago... and it has diminished since.

Jul. 14 2012 08:49 PM
Beth J from New Jersey

I love this list! I especially love it that so many people want a permanent moratorium on the Pachelbel Canon, which is at the top of my never-want-to-hear-it-again list -- followed by Les Mis in its entirety and all the usual wedding and funeral tunes from "classical music": Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, Air on the G string, Handel's Largo, Ave Maria, etc., etc.

Jul. 14 2012 05:43 PM
Sophia from NYC

Anything played on 104.3 fm in nyc. Bands like the Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, The Who, Pink Floyd and all the rest on their play-list appear to have only 10 songs each in their respective catalogues (despite the Stones, for example, having been around for more than 50 years...), or at least you might think that by listening to this station for any length of time. Lou Reed's lyrics are now but a mere shadow of their former truth! Oh whoa is us.

Jul. 14 2012 05:19 PM
Montag from Central, CT

I could easily live without, Ode to Billy Joe, or Bobby McGee, by Janis J or mostly anyone else. My all time hate song is, The Last Song I'll Ever Write For You, by Edward Barely Alive, thankfully it was.

Jul. 14 2012 05:08 PM
Arwen from Sopranoland

The Adagietto from Mahler's 5th Symphony. It seems as though every! time! that WQXR wants to play a non-entire-symphony-length piece by Mahler, this is what hits the airwaves. I can't listen to it anymore, and I really like Mahler. So much to choose from--why do they *always* go for that? ::sigh::

Jul. 14 2012 04:54 PM

Starting to feel this way about Adele...Rolling In The Deep...Set Fire To the Rain...Someone Like You...

Love the album, but starting to hate it.

Jul. 14 2012 04:52 PM
michelle

I definitely agree that Hotel California is way overplayed. I also used to enjoy "Don't Stop Believing" and then it just reached that point where I can't stand it. I think it was playing in just about every diner I went into for a while. Also personally many pop songs I can't stand after a while, even though initially I enjoy them. Its just annoying that every store plays the same music.

Jul. 14 2012 04:50 PM
Johanna from New York

Adagio for Strings. I know it's supposed to the ultimate tearjerker, but at this point I can feel it twisting my arm to cry. I know your game, Samuel Barber, and it won't work on me anymore!

Jul. 14 2012 04:48 PM
Janelle

The entire soundtrack from "The Big Chill." No more, please.

Jul. 14 2012 04:48 PM
Paul Hyland from Silver Spring, MD

Stairway to Free Bird - the two most requested songs of any band that plays any cover tunes, admittedly sometimes tongue firmly planted in cheek.

However, since rock radio pretty much sucks these days (in most places), I find myself not getting sick of songs as much any longer. Now I listen to NPR shows like yours and On the Media, and for music I turn to Pandora or Radio Paradise (and late night on Saturdays, Liber Limbia by my friend Joe Limbus on Radio 23 - the true master of classic and obscure strange music.) Of course, NPR's All Songs Considered is a reliable source for good music ideas as well, and radio stations from New Orleans and Santa Monica that I think are also NPR affiliates.

The music that once resided on this list for me include the likes of Smells Like Teen Spirit, Sabotage, Loser, and Blue Monday along with the album Dark Side of the Moon. And one oddity - a strange "hit" on my New Rock 94 radio show in college, the oft-requested "Anorexic Sacrifice" by Chrome, a band that fits right into Joe Limbus's playlist.

Jul. 14 2012 04:12 PM
Susan from Silver Spring, Maryland

"Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood. Unfortunately, this song reflects a cultural divide: In some parts of the country this song is a cross between a hymn and a national anthem and is the required finale of every live show; whereas in others it's considered to be pure kitsch, and the enforced patriotism that it entails turns people's stomachs. (Based on my selection, you can tell which side of this divide I fall on.)

Jul. 14 2012 04:10 PM

When I was a little kid I wouldn't eat anything for lunch other than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Then one day I decided I was sick of them and never wanted to eat another one- and I didn't for many years. (I'll now eat one every once in a while, and they taste good.) In 1991 REM released "Losing My Religion" and I loved that song, couldn't get enough of it. It was playing on the radio a lot and the intriguingly shot video was in heavy rotation on MTV. Then one day I decided I was sick of it and never wanted to hear it again - and didn't for many years.

Jul. 14 2012 04:08 PM
Angela from Big Blue Marble

I NEVER want to hear in any version by anyone at anytime the following top three : 1. Greatest Love of All 2. My Funny Valentine 3. God Bless the Child. Ever... Forever ever... Yes Forever! I would like to say when I heard the banning of Dave Brubeck..wow that hurt. Dave Brubeck, Cannonball Adderly, Lambert Hendricks and Ross ran top billing in my house on Sundays when I was girl. I'll admit Take Five maybe a bit overplayed but unlike other genres of music you can find on your radio dial, jazz is harder and harder to hear on a broader scale. At least Take Five might be a bridge into other jazz artists. Example the kid who's listening to Take Five, says "I like this. Who is this again?" I repeal the banning Dave Brubeck. I got your back Mr. Brubeck. God Bless is 92 year old soul.

Jul. 14 2012 03:18 PM
lydia-jane from Washington DC

Your program made me think of a non-musical art form I think has been over-saturated: Impressionist paintings. I will never pay or go out of my way to see another Monet, Van Gogh, Gaugin, Renoir or Pisarro exhibit. But, I have to remember that there are always new audiences for these works, and they deserve to have the opportunity to experience these fine works of art. Does this also apply to these songs? We may be done with them, but what about folks who are new to, say, opera - surely they deserve to hear Carmen Burina?

Maybe another interesting story for Studio 360?

Jul. 14 2012 03:15 PM
Karen Clark from Pittsburgh, PA

I am so sick of Pachelbel's Canon in D. Any time someone tries to make you relax - at Lamaze class, in a hynopsis session - they play it, and with me it has the opposite effect!

Jul. 14 2012 03:14 PM
Joe

Alanis Morisette. Ironic. So it's a song about things that are seemingly ironic but not actually ironic so we are supposed to give the artist credit enough to have written what is in fact an ironic song because none of her examples of irony are actually ironic? No. No thank you. I don't ever ever have to hear this song again. In fact, we're I ever to hear a single second of this song again, I have trained myself to instantly cover my ears and scream to myself until I've run far enough to be free of the horribleness. And I don't think that is strange whatsoever.

Jul. 14 2012 02:53 PM
Nicole K from Arlington, VA

Any song by Steely Dan. I can't totally explain it, but I found their style annoying to my ears. Is it light jazz? Soft rock? Quite possibly the worst song is Fez. The lyrics are terrible. I realize this band is fairly acclaimed, but I must run out of the room or change the station if I hear them.

Jul. 14 2012 02:53 PM
ellen

Pachelbel Canon in D and Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Both deserve double groans for over hearing them during my life.

Jul. 14 2012 02:49 PM
lydia from maryland

this is a comment on the topic, music I never want to hear again. I KNOW I will get my black card taken away for saying this, but...I never want to hear anything by Frankie Beverly and Maze, EVER!!!

Jul. 14 2012 02:46 PM
jimt

"miserere" by that blind Italian music hacker who shall remain nameless

Jul. 14 2012 12:31 PM
Robin R from Richmond, VA

"Dream On" and "Stairway to Heaven"--Along one of the major highways in Richmond, there's a huge billboard for a classic rock station with Stephen Tyler and "Dream On" written below him. UGH! With so many out of the mainstream awesome music being produced today with brilliant lyrics and creative sound, who would want to listen to that song ONE MORE TIME!

Conversely, I must admit, Thankgiving just isn't the same if I don't hear "Alice's Restaurant." Once a year is plenty, though!

Jul. 14 2012 11:58 AM
Mark Laskowski from Longmeadow, MA

As I'm recalling was pointed out in this piece, it's important to make the distinction between (a) musical pieces that you, as the listener, at one time felt had some real value and then had all the juice and enjoyment squeezed out of them because of overexposure and (b) songs that you didn't want to really hear again after hearing them one or two times. It's easy to come up with examples of "(a)," while building a list of "(b)" is trickier.

Before the programming of popular commercial music radio stations was mechanized (when FM was ascending but had not yet banished AM to musical irrelevance), a song such as Golden Earrings "Radar Love" was something that crept into the playlist as a DJ's prerogative every once in a great while, often during the overnight shifts, and there was something magical about hearing it. Then it became heavy to medium rotation on Classic Rock stations. Ruined. The commercial radio Classic Rock format has done a lot to destroy otherwise tolerable to enjoyable songs from the sixties and seventies. Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" came close to suffering the same fate, but to the extent that I've had the misfortune of being exposed to CLASSIC ROCK, it seems to have escaped.

Oh, I'm sorry. The exercise here is crowdsourcing, no? So I should just be offering up some titles so they can be fed into the amassed data so the shark-like "intelligence" of the interweb can continue to flourish!

BTW, from this piece to Jim DeRogatis's book "Kill Your Idols" the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band is such an easy target. Seems like American musical criticism in general and our culture overall decided to hype something beyond all reason and then later call attention to how its value had been exaggerated. That's friggin' weird. I fell in love with it when I first heard it (I was a child and one's earliest musical impressions can be profound), but didn't venerate it beyond reason as my musical interests and tastes evolved. I haven't listened to it at all in more than a decade. I listened to side one this morning (on mom and dad's scratchy vinyl copy which I've inherited). Most of us probably are not trained (either formally or self-trained) in active listening to music the way I'd assume Mr. Tim Page is. Consequently, many of us aren't really attentive listeners and have some opportunities to get better at it. This morning, for example, I concentrated mostly on the bass lines in Sgt. Pepper. That, and maybe the time I had away from it, made it enjoyable. So you can find ways to shift your own perceptions and escape being jaded to some music. Sometimes your mind plays tricks on you. When you figure out how to play tricks on your mind, then you're getting somewhere.

I never liked any of Michael Jackson's solo stuff and would be fine if I don't hear any of it anymore ever.

I never get tired of listening to Frank Zappa and the Mother's first three albums.

Jul. 14 2012 10:38 AM
Cynthia from Lansdale PA

Don McLean's "American Pie" is the worst; whenever I hear it I run for the hills!

Jul. 14 2012 08:56 AM
kathi from philadelphia

please take "dust in the wind" back. also, "do you believe in life after love" by cher. doesn't matter what you voluntarily listen to, the latter song is heard by everyone who isn't comatose at least once a day. it is in the elevator you ride in, the stores you shop, the dentist office and the nail salon. don't try to avoid it, just offer it up.

Jul. 14 2012 08:34 AM
John S. Garavelli from Newark, DE

As you would say it, I am allergic to a lot of chamber music. I listen to a number of classical format internet radio stations (and WHYY) and one piece of music that will send me to the station changer is Shubert's Trout Quintet. There are some stations that manage to program it three times in a week, and it has been used endlessly as theme music. Basta! Enough!

Jul. 14 2012 08:12 AM
Diana H. from Philadelphia, PA

I was skipping through some great music on my iPod yesterday morning feeling ashamed that I was considering depositing some of it on a rarely accessed hard drive.

"I Heard it Through The Grapevine" came on recently and I urgently changed the radio station. If I never hear that song again it will be too soon, and yet I feel guilty for saying that.

Jul. 14 2012 07:51 AM
Ann from New York

Please add Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" and all Lionel Richie hits except "All Night Long." Great vocalists, but we've heard these songs enough to last more than one lifetime, right?

Jul. 14 2012 07:41 AM
Rhonda from Coastal Georgia

I have personally never met a style of music that I can say I dislike as a whole. That being said, I was a little surprised, when I began to really think about it, just how much music I am truly weary of. Air on the a G string has become a commercial anthem as have pieces of The Four Seasons. I love and respect Tina Turner as much as any arrist and wouldn't notice at all if I never heard What's Love got to do with it again. While I must admit that sourhern rock and its fringes are an aquired taste there some songs I can't wait to hear again, two not on thtat list are Cripple Creek & Dixie Chicken both I , at least one time did appreciate. I could go on but they did ask that we be brief, I may have missed that mark.

Jul. 14 2012 07:21 AM
Rick from Long Beach, CA

If you think songs are played to death on pop or classic radio stations, try living in Seoul, Korea. When a song caught on there, you would hear it in almost every store you passed, all day long, for weeks - seemingly as the *only* song in a repeating loop in some places. It didn't help that Ace of Base's "All the She Wants is Another Baby" was getting that treatment when my girlfriend did indeed want to have a baby! I'll be happy to never have to hear that song again.

Jul. 14 2012 02:03 AM
Denise from burlington, vermont

billy idol's 'mony mony.'

sorry to bring it up. hope it's not stuck in yer head now :)

Jul. 13 2012 08:57 PM
Abe A from Los Angeles

Radiohead's "Creep"

Jul. 13 2012 08:09 PM
Harold from Toronto, Classic Rock Centrall

1. ANYTHING ON CLASSIC ROCK STATIONS. could it be simply the lazy act of programming classic rock radio that leads them to play the aforementioned songs( Mr Page's list). Is it so hard to program the other 2-10 songs on a classic Roick album; the ones that don't get played? Mr mcCartney wrote some great songs that were not "Live and Let Die"
2. COMMERCIAL RADIO IN GENERAL. same
3. Please listen to college radio. Listen to public radio. And if you get the urge to hear a Zeppelin song for the billionth time; there is always.... See above.

Jul. 13 2012 05:11 PM
Malcolm Glass

ANYTHING by Peter Maxwell Davies. This music is unlistenable. He is stuck so far in his head that he's oozing out of the follicles in his scalp. The problem here isn't that it is unforgettable and hard to "get rid of"; the problem is that it is utterly forgettable, period.

Jul. 13 2012 03:54 PM
Buddy Sattva from winter-time (in my head)

Just so he won't lose touch entirely with the seasons, George G from Seattle should check out other "Seasons," like Glazunov and Piazzolla. The latter is a fabulous piece (see recording by Nashville and Guerrero), and he manages to steal snippets of Vivaldi so that George won't lose touch, entirely, with Antonio.

Jul. 13 2012 03:48 PM
T K from Austin TX

The Night Chicago Died/Billy Don't Be A Hero by Paper Lace
Fun idea for your great show, however I cringe at the thought of these horrid songs. So many need to be banned.
Starters: The Night Chicago Died/Billy Don't Be A Hero by Paper Lace are equally bad, and
everything by Wings, Phil Collins, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Tony Orlando. I won't even mention cheesy wedding reception songs. HAVE A STRUMMER OF LOVE EVERYONE !!!

Jul. 13 2012 02:16 PM
Dwayne Moore from Bethlehem, Pa

Honestly, I don't think music from any era is the problem per se. For me it is the massive marketing machine. I work @ Amazon where during an 8-10 hour shift during peak last year I most likely heard Adele sing "Someone Like You" no less than 7 times. More often as we approached Christmas. I was looking for something sharp to ram into my ears after a month! Marketing expectations seem to be reflecting a more transient, short burst approach paralleling listening to radio while driving in a car around town vs. leaving it on for more than an hour. I realize the value of promotion but dear God I love/hate having the radio on a work. The positive outcome about is since I love music, it causes me to go outside of comfortable boundaries and discover genres I wouldn't have had the palette for otherwise.

Jul. 13 2012 01:25 PM
J. Wilson from Boston, MA

"Do you really want to hurt me?" by culture club is the song that most comes to mind. . .
Everything goes in circles, and everything old is new again. A few years back I would have said Sgt. Pepper for sure, but when the 2009 Beatles remasters were released, you could truely hear things you hadn't noticed before. The mono version of Sgt. Pepper is especially amazing.
Dylan's "like a rolling stone" is indeed overplayed, but the younger people who it's new for deserve to hear it.
There are too many radio stations who seem to play all the same songs daily. That's why I keep it on NPR :)

Jul. 13 2012 12:56 PM
Debbie Tegarden from New Jersey

It’s not that “O Fortuna!” is worn so very thin; what is dreadful is its exploitation in (endlessly repetitive) soundtracks of every dreary sort of low-budget horror and exorcism-themed movie, and similar digitally enhanced apocalyptic media trash.
Which brings me to the “Dies Irae” in Verdi’s Requiem—this is also getting very stale in similar pop culture artifacts. (I am not suggesting that the cleverness of Orff is in any way equivalent to the majesty of Verdi, but both compositions are getting sliced and diced into inanity.)
The work of curmudgeonship is seductive. I will mention “Rollin’ on the River” and “Like a Rollin’ Stone,” and then there are those "bleeding chunks" from Wagner.
Wait! I forgot to mention the Whippenpoof song....

Jul. 13 2012 12:38 PM
Amy Hepburn from Los Angeles

Some people get old and wise, while others get old and grouchy. Mr Page (and perhaps Studio 360 itself) seems to be heading toward the latter.
There are few things in this world more benign than hearing classic works of music from time to time. While I prefer discovering new music, it never occurred to me that I should grow tired of the tried and true at the same time.

I'm of similar age as Mr Page, and recognize that many of the new pop, rock, indie, and jazz songs that are released by young musicians today are mostly derivatives of the classics in most every genre. Very little is truly innovative and unique. So, why not continue to appreciate the source?

The argument makes no sense to me other than people becoming crotchety old men.

Jul. 13 2012 11:46 AM
Kit Moresby from Traveling

I second "Hotel California." To make matters worse, the French have a particular fondness for it, and sing it passionately in bars in Paris.

Jul. 13 2012 11:38 AM
Deborah from Arlington, VA

Wow, what a bunch of curmudgeons!
Sure, there are songs that I don't want to hear again. But, I wouldn't ban them from the radio or other public space. Younger people only learn about older artists from hearing them. That exposure sends the younger person off on a musical adventure as they check out influences and tangential artists. Banning certain music is akin to book burning. Make your own choices, not choices for other people.

Jul. 13 2012 11:37 AM
George G from Seattle Wa

Vivaldi The Four Seasons. When I lived on Orcas Island in the eighties, all the shops and markets had it playing as background music. I started listening to it at home and really liked it, until I didn't anymore. Everywhere you shopped it was like muzak. I regret something so beautiful becoming so mundane.

Jul. 13 2012 11:02 AM
John Smith from Sarasota Fl.

The Eagles album "Hotel California"
I was sick of it by 1978, by 2008 I Had a deep bitter hatred for anyone who dared playing any song off that album thinking someone actually wanted to hear it.
Could easily be declared an ill illegal weapon of war if used on prisoners.
Over-saturation to the extreme.

Jul. 13 2012 12:51 AM