Human Intelligence: A Holiday Tale

Radio Drama

Friday, December 14, 2012

This is what Kurt Andersen considers a holiday tale ... melting ice caps and extraterrestrial spies?

Kurt's story "Human Intelligence" first appeared in Stories: All New Tales, an anthology edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio. Our radio version was produced and directed by Jonathan Mitchell, and stars Ed Herbstman, Melanie Hoopes, and John Ottavino.

Read the full version of "Human Intelligence"

(Originally aired: December 24, 2010)

1. Auld Lang Syne
    Artist: B. B. King
    Album: A Christmas Celebration of Hope
    Label: Geffen
  2. I'm a Spy
    Artist: Jonathan Mitchell
    Album: original music composed by Jonathan Mitchell
  3. No More Questions/Phoning the Director
    Artist: David Shire
    Album: The Conversation (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    Label: Intrada
  4. Bugs
    Artist: Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, & Reinhold Heil
    Album: he International (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    Label: Varese Sarabande
  5. Raiders March
    Artist: John Williams
    Album: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    Label: Concord Music Group
  6. Quartz
    Artist: Brian Eno
    Album: Music for Films
    Label: Astralwerks
  7. The Test
    Artist: John Williams
    Album: Black Sunday (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
  8. Ding! Dong!
    Artist: Sufjan Stevens
    Album: Songs for Christmas (box set)
    Label: Asthmatic Kitty
  9. Death of Rat
    Artist: Alexandre Desplat
    Album: Fantastic Mr. Fox (Additional Music from the Original Score)
    Label: ABKCO (US)

Jonathan Mitchell

Raveen Beemsingh from Bethlehem, PA

Wow, I was really down from my startup meeting tonight, and luckily i heard this story, it made me so happy, i forgot that i was sad :), thanks studio 360

Dec. 18 2012 10:01 PM
Janice from Rye, NY

I had the pleasure of listening to this story on my way to JFK to collect my son home from college for the holidays. I was captivated and sat in my parked car until the last line was uttered. Upon arriving home, I immediately read the short fiction here. Thank you SO much for this original story.

Dec. 18 2012 01:20 AM
April from Ormond Beach, FL

If I could have one wish come true, it would be the discovery of intelligent life in my lifetime. Tying the discovery to the Christmas holiday was brilliant! I loved the story - thx so much for sharing it with us all!!

Dec. 16 2012 08:51 PM
Tracy K. Smith from Brooklyn

Wonderful! What a delight to surrender to such a fascinating and original holiday tale. And what a great medium. Thanks!

Dec. 16 2012 03:25 PM
Uncle Hud from 50 feet above the planet

What a story! Thanks!

Dec. 16 2012 02:57 PM
Karen from Boston

Greetings from Boston. Heard your story on WGBH yesterday. Loved it! it touched on so many universal themes: love, hope, being alone, being a Superhero in a world that really needs a superhero, and connection.
Thank you. I sat in a parking lot to finish listening to your story instead of hitting the stores. When it was over I gently exhaled a breath of hope.

Dec. 16 2012 12:09 PM
Alex from Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY

I put on stereo headphones to listen to the story in my apartment in Brooklyn. And how wonderful it was. It reminded me of classic Sci-Fi, but mixed with contemporary short fiction. I want to see a continuation of this story, Kurt! Don't leave us hanging!

Dec. 16 2012 12:00 PM
Jeff Schrade from Stafford VA

I was driving around northern Virginia today totally enthralled with "Human Intelligence." It was wonderful treat -- theater for the mind and a job well done! Thank you... :-)

Dec. 15 2012 10:52 PM
Will Gerstmyer from Concord, land of the grape

Quite remarkable in the car when a radio story cuts through my son's headphone attractions and has him asking about what just happened. What just happened. I'm asking myself. Thanks, keep up the good work, Will

Dec. 15 2012 04:48 PM
Joe Dullea from Boston, the Hub of the Universe

Dear Kurt: I love your story -- thank you.

Dec. 15 2012 03:36 PM
alzie from West Deptford, NJ

This is a wonderful story.
If i had been in my car,
it would have been a "driveway moment"!
Totally riveting and touching.
What a beautiful fantasy!

Dec. 15 2012 12:00 PM
Bill Conrad from Pottstown, PA

I caught the end of Saturday's "Studio 360". What a treat to hear the radio rendition of "Human Intelligence", by Kurt Anderson. After hearing this, I would love to hear/read more from Kurt! The suspense set up through the narration was perfect, and the surprise revelation at the end was wonderful. Indeed I was left wanting more. Thank you so much Kurt.

Dec. 15 2012 08:09 AM